Argument with Mom (Loud Voice / Shouting) and Worried Tinnitus Got Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Guest9199, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Today my mom started using anger in her words as she talked to herself from our living room which is across from my room while my door was slightly opened and then she ran to my room and started yelling at me but luckily I had my earmuffs on before she said anything.

It says on the box that they have a 26 NRR on them. I’m really worried that I could have damaged my ringing ears even more with the protection on.

For most of it I hid in my closet with the muffs on and around the house while she was raising her voice. I eventually went outside for a short walk and then when I came back she had lowered her voice from yelling to shouting.

I’m really worried my earmuffs didn’t protect me enough.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      You'll be alright! The human voice, even when yelling, can't damage your ears unless she screamed directly into your ear for quite some time. I'm sure her yelling fell short of 100 decibels, which OSHA (occupational safety and health) permits that you can listen to for 15 minutes without any damage. Since you had earmuffs on, the likelihood of any damage having happened is close to none. I hope everything is alright at home though and that this isn't a normal occurrence. :( If your tinnitus does seem louder it's probably due to stress or anxiety from the event. Be sure to put your earmuffs on/off slowly to avoid any pressure issues. If you're really feeling worried about damage, eat healthy foods, drink water, and try to get some rest. The stress from this happening is probably more likely to spike your tinnitus than the yelling your mom did since you had muffs on.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Your mum is in urgent need of some education regarding the severity of Tinnitus.
      Some mum ??

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Those guidelines are for the healthy people. There hasn't been any research into what sounds can harm a person with tinnitus.

I am glad that OP is serious about limiting the noise he is exposed to.

Having said that, even if you get a spike, it will likely be temporary.

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      My audiologist told me he regularly sees people who are workies with significant hearing loss and zero They only come see him because their wife has had enough of trying to speak to them.

Sorry to hear about the spike, OP. Hopefully it will subside.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Thanks for the response and I really hope so. I took a long nap after things calmed down and woke up with a horrible feeling of anxiety and my eardrums were pounding back and forth, I was really worried I had made my tinnitus situation worse so I got a bottle of water hoping it would help prevent damage as you said.

My tinnitus seems at the same level it was before the fight and I was mostly in and out of the house during most of it with my muffs on of course. I only took them off briefly for about 7-8 seconds while in my closet to hear if she was done raising her voice but ended up just keeping the muffs on until she was done. Everything seemed muffled with them on I couldn’t hear her unless I got out of my closet to head for the main door to get outside so I only heard her loud shouting briefly through the muffs but it seemed muffled. I used a pair of safety works earmuffs my dad has gotten me from lowe’s.

I really hope I can rely on these in case of other bad situations like this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Yikes :( I better be more careful then :( been relying on the osha guidelines as to what to protect my ears from/not protect my ears from.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Take a look at the two posts below

• Like Like x 1
    10. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Sorry to hear that. I'm glad your tinnitus went back to baseline. I'm not sure if water helps with damage or not but it definitely helps with staying hydrated/anxiety. Maybe consult other sources to see what helps with hearing damage hehe. Definitely keep using the muffs though they do help a lot. :)

• Like Like x 1
    11. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Why do you have earmuffs on in your house?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

My mother always feels the need to shout or yell at me for every single thing and I could feel the pressure on my ears from it and felt it was making my tinnitus worse so I had to get a pair.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

So even though I wore my muffs there could still be some damage done to my tinnitus or my ears in general from the exposure of the shouting?

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Without knowing anything else about your situation, the answer is "most likely no." Even if at the time it felt like it was too loud - it might hurt you in the Long Run (if it were to happen often), but it shouldn't do anything this one time. If you get a spike and it lasts for longer than 24 hours, it might still be mostly due to stress.

The bottom line is that it would seem that it makes sense to try to minimize your exposure when you can, and to not worry about it too much when it is unavoidable.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Sadly tension does happpen often but it’s mostly when I tell her my tinnitus is bothersome and if I ask for a favor then she just gets angry and raises her voice but it only happens once a day rather than the entire day because I try my best to avoid her. This happens everyday but I’d say this was the most extreme. I live in a downstairs condo where there probably isn’t that much room to avoid the sound but I did manage to stay in my room’s closet for most of it while she was in the living room. But also when I was heading outside she was at a close range from me when she shouted. I could send photos to determine the distance I had from her if you’d like.

16. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Just another word of input: Since it already happened, try to let it go. There's a very low chance of this incident having caused damage and stressing about whether or not this incident caused damage won't change the fact that it already happened. In fact, it may make your tinnitus worse to think about it. Just continue to protect your ears and avoid your mom shouting. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Show the post below to her
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...im-being-murdered-by-merciless-tinnitus.29510
      Since you were wearing hearing protection, the sound was most likely at a safe level. However, if the sound gave you a spike or ear fullness or sounded too loud to you, then there is a chance that it was too loud for You (i.e., your ears are unusually vulnerable).

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

I’ll be sure to show her that link to the post but she usually ignores the seriousness of this condition and what I have to say about it. My tinnitus seems to have settled for now but from just listening to it, it sounds the same so I would assume to think that I’ll be okay and that the muffs provided enough protection like it says they would on the box but I guess only time will tell if my tinnitus will spike permanently and if this was just adding more damage to my already vulnerable ears :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Last night I was yelled at again by my mother about something that wasn’t a big deal that had happened and then I was asked about what I was doing constantly by her and she had a lot of attitude in her voice so it was almost raised and I’m very worried the short bursts of her yelling at me a couple times last night would have to be something I have to worry about. I don’t know if a raised voice or yelling a couple times in one day would do anything to my tinnitus or to my ears but if anyone knows please tell me. This also happens a lot almost every day :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Moms are really good at arguing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I don't even bother talking to mine anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this. Do you know what causes her anger and do you think you could just slip your earmuffs on and walk away until things calm down? I don't know your situation, maybe you could ask for help some of your relatives or call a helpline.

The good news is, I think those episodes you described are unlikely that caused you any serious damage. What distance is usually between you and your mother when she's shouting?

To put things into better perspective for you:
      • a normal voice approximates to a sound pressure level of 70 dB
      • a raised voice approximates to a sound pressure level of 76 dB
      • a very loud voice approximates to a sound pressure level of 82 dB
      • a shouting voice approximates to a sound pressure level of 88 dB
      engineertoolbox.PNG
      Source: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/voice-level-d_938.html

According to EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) you can be exposed to 88 dB(A) for about 22 minutes before you're at risk of hearing damage. Keep in mind that EPA has adopted the strickest noise exposure standards when compared to OSHA or NIOSH. So even by these standards you should be ok.
      Epa.PNG
      Source: https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/spldose.htm

The argument that these guidelines apply only to "healthy" people is somewhat flawed.

I have a bad case of phonophobia myself that I'm trying to work on. What helps me is to try relax myself so I can think clearly and then rationalize my fears away by factual evidence, research, general consensus etc.

Try and explain your situation to your mom, when she storms in your room plug your ears with your fingers and leave. Ask for help should this continue.

• Useful Useful x 1
    23. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There is no need to sit in your closet with ear muffs on, Tony. Shouting is an inescapable part of life and it doesn’t require the drastic measures you are taking. Your ears will be fine.

I do understand what you’re going through though and I’d calmly talk to your mother about not shouting all the time.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Of course it is not promoting your healing.

Having said that, if it were doing damage, you would know because you would have ear fullness or louder T or new T tones. If you haven't been experiencing that, there is no need to worry. You still want to minimize your exposure to those shocks, though. There is a small chance that eventually if you keep getting those shocks you will get one of those symptoms.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it?!

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sounds to me like you have some things in your relationship with your mother that might be amping your anxiety about all this? The behavior you're describing from her doesn't sound healthy unless this was a really rare occurrence.

The sound of a human screaming is not going to do anything damaging to your ears unless they're literally screaming into your ear with their hands cupping it. From across the room, with a partial doorway? You're talking about 60-70db max. This is an anxiety problem not an auditory one.

27. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      If you live in the real world, Bill, yea.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Well when she usually yells or shouts it’s on the couch which is a few feet from my front door which I was exiting back and forth each time she was raising her voice and she also did it as I passed her through the small hallway outside of my room where she was behind me. I can send pics of the places she did that at. And I also have muffs but refuse to wear them due to the occlusion effect as I’m worried it would worsen my tinnitus and ears in general.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Sadly for me this is a normal occurrence in my household :/

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

I’ve talked to her and even had family members talk to her for my sake and I’ve also tried visiting my dads house and even my cousins and things don’t workout. My cousin has dogs which bark very loud throughout the day and I wouldn’t be able to stand it. My dad also has a dog and some very old doors which make noises when closing and opening them that irritate me.