Art as a Coping Method?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aeris Oadriax, May 21, 2015.

1. Aeris Oadriax

Aeris Oadriax Member

I am curious to know if some of you have any artistic pursuits and how, if at all, this ties into your struggle with tinnitus. I find myself up against a wall, or hanging off a cliff. My life is in tatters and I don't know how I am going to suffer through this condition. But, through this struggle, through this pain I find this may be the perfect opportunity for artistic inspiration. As if the noise is my muse, it may be a beneficial ailment. I have had the desire to take up painting, to manifest my suffering in some visible form.

Throughout my teen years and into my early 20s I was a musician. I found that I created the best music during my periods of intense suffering. And now, I feel as if it may be possible to utilize the same kind of power for another pursuit. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Anyone else have any artistic passions? I am a great writer but I find that it may not be the field for which to most effectively channel my strife.

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Anything which can distract you from your T is good. Artistic creativity in every form can help you accomplish this. When you passionately get involved in creating your "masterpiece", then all else, including T, doesn't matter as much. It is much harder to cope with T when other parts of your life is experience difficulties. T thrives on kaos and disorder. Balance out your life, give it purpose and meaning and you will find that your T will be much easier.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I agree with @erik. Become actively absorbed in an artistic pursuit. Over the last few years, after the onset of my tinnitus, I have found that any time I am drawing, playing music, or writing, I do not notice my tinnitus. I think the key here is that one needs to create, as opposed to being a passive participant. That is, walking around an art gallery enjoying the pictures would not necessarily distract me from my tinnitus the way that drawing a portrait does.

-Golly

• Like Like x 2
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I draw cats on top of magic: the gathering cards, it's a game I play. I leave the card text there, but erase the art and then draw cats on them with paint markers. Sometimes it distracts me, sometimes it just kills time. You can see them here: http://surrakandthetemurcats.tumblr.com

• Like Like x 2
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just had a margarita and I feel better, about my T, and in general, than I have all day. I wish "booze as a coping mechanism" was more viable, but I think you just get tinnitus with a dude of cirrhosis.

• Like Like x 1
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I was a graphic artist for over 20 years doing signs and vehicles and really don't remember T bothering me, and I always worked alone usually in a quiet area. Also I'm into music and instrument making and I'm not bothered when I'm busy with that. Good question. I think you're onto something.

7. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Love the cards. 'Breeding Pool' made me laugh loud. It felt good. Thank you.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :D Glad to help. I posted these on the main magic subreddit a while ago, one of my favorite replies was a guy who said "I saw the first one and I thought, 'oh look a shitty altered card'. Then I scrolled down a bit and thought 'huh, a whole lot of shitty altered cards'. Then I scrolled down further and thought 'you know, some of these shitty alters are pretty good.' Then I scrolled down to Breeding Pool and thought 'this is the best altered card ever'."

There's a whole subculture of people who try to either ultra-realistic alters where you extend the existing art over the borders well enough that it's hard to tell it's been modified, or people who do stuff like recreate classic paintings at a high level of detail on cards (Eric Klug being an example of a professional artist who does both). Clearly I'm not a professional artist and am going into a rather different direction with these, but they make me happy.

• Like Like x 1