Attempting to Overcome and Losing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Justin, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Justin

Justin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1999
      Hi, Justin here. I started having tinnitus over 15 years ago. It turned on that day when I was 21 and has never shut off. Its that common very high pitched tone that would make people scream like nails on a chalkboard. I am sure everyone's experience is terrible in their own way. But I have fought it from continuing to work through the pain and headaches, into school where I completed my undergrad and now I am in medical school and have hit my hurdle that I do not think i am making it over. I am away from my family and kids. the workload is insane and the intensity and volume is getting out of control i have no idea what to do. Nothing I have ever tried has worked.

2. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Well Justin.

You've had T for 15 years and have accomplished so much. College, finding a soul mate, having kids. I was lucky enough to do my years in University T free and yet still found it tough going. You are still working and studying and trying to better yourself and all with T that is incredible. Some people cant even get out of bed with this condition.

I hate to say it but doing stuff with T has its limitations. I am holding down a job in the IT industry (Just about) but I wouldn't be able to push myself just now. Getting through the day is a triumph.

Is there any way you could take the pressure off yourself in some way. Is there anything you could postpone until next year.Maybe do 50% of the intellectual work and shelve the rest. Or come clean and cut down on the work aspect.
      Sometimes facing up to reality is necessary.

What would you say to a patient in your position who was trying to do too much to the detriment of his physical being? Surely theres some way you could cut back on some aspect.

I relate - I've gotta get up in a few hours and go to work and its the last thing I feel like doing.

Be well.

R

3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Justin, You have Tinnitus for 15 years. I sounds like you have got used to it and now you are in a spike/relapse. How have you coped in the past? Do you have a strategy? therapy, meds,..etc? My first 5 years I eventually habituated after 12-18 months with CBT. After 5 years I had a relapse, hospitalized. I was put on meds and withing 12-18 months I habituated again. Reduced my meds but stayed on a low dose,. Another 5 years another relapse, hospitalized, again. Back on the medication again habituated 12-18 months. From 2000 to May of 2014 I had a good run. Cuurently on meds again in my 6th month of what I hope is my usual 12-18 month to habituation. This time I went to the meds and continued to work.
      I am in the technology field and at times it is stressful. You need a strategy.
      Wishing you well. Please write back.

4. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Sounds to me the medical school stresses you out -> stress increases your T. I recommend you first accept the circumstances, i.e. that you have T and that it limits your stress handling capabilities. The second thing would be to slow down. Sleep more, work less, eat healthy, exercise, maybe learn to meditate and/or practice mindfulness etc. Most importantly, be merficul to yourself. By doing these you might be able to relax more and stress less and most likely it will bring down T as well. :)

• Agree Agree x 1