Attending Professional Sporting Events

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christokp, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Christokp

Christokp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Before I got tinnitus I bought tickets to an NFL game in November. Cowboys vs Chiefs for those who like football. I'm still debating if I should go or sell the tickets. If I go I would wear ear plugs.

What are y'alls thoughts? Anybody here go to sporting events?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I go to NBA games and wwe events. I put them ear plugs in and have a good time. This is what I do, I am not advising anyone to go or not go :)

• Like Like x 4
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christokp

Christokp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @fishbone do you notice any differences in your tinnitus after the events? I go to a lot of NBA games too. Go Spurs Go! Which team do you root for?

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      That is encouraging to read. I recently skipped an MLB game but my husband went and found it was around 80dB. But it was a sellout and an absolutely packed stadium for a close game. He said it hit around 98dB when everyone was screaming. Not every game will be like that, often we've gone and there were plenty of empty seats.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could always brings earplugs and earmuffs just in case the earplugs aren't enough.

Hopefully it's not one of the teams that tries to compete for the loudest stadium.
      https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014...orld-record-crowd-noise-decibels-patriots-mnf

142 decibels is incredibly loud. It's almost unbelievable people don't get hearing damaged from a sustained (non impulse) 142db roar.

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I go to live events all the time. My ear plugs do a great job and afterwards my ears just feel a bit tired. After having plugs in my ears for 2-4 hours, it's natural for the ears to be a little tired. Like i have said many times, on this board....I live my life and tinnitus cannot stop that....NEVER! :)

This is what I do, I am not advising for people to go or not to go to live events...

• Like Like x 2
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My ears, feel a tad bit tired after the games/events. Wearing ear plugs for 2-4 hours makes my ears tired, i cannot speak for anyone else...

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Really appreciate the positivity! My ears always feel a bit tired after wearing ear plugs, too. What kind of plugs do you wear for sporting events?

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Sometimes I feel like if you say you go to any loudish event on here you have to put a disclaimer in your post to say you don't recommend this activity for others. Otherwise you will get a barrage of posts advising you that you are crazy ect lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Watch the fuck out! If you mess up when using hearing protection, it won't help you.

For foam ear plugs, make sure they're deeply inserted into the inner ear canal (google for visual instructions). Bring ear muffs just in case it feels too loud even with the plugs. Peltor is a good brand, and no glasses or ear rings that sabotage the seal.

I'm not gonna advise you to go or not to go. Just make sure to protect yourself if you do.

11. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      MLB games aren't very loud that are not playoff games. You don't need any hearing protection IMO. NFL games just get decent musicians plugs 14 DB or more. Unless you are going to a Seahawks game then use foam plugs. I never understood wearing double protection, even at concerts. That is a bit extreme.

12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      What about going to theme parks? I am not and have never been into wild rides and big rollercoasters but I do like the smaller ones and other more mild rides.

Is it okay to go? Wearing ear plugs of course?

13. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      That is dangerous db levels for sure. I often wonder how many people get Tinnitus after a loud game like that.

14. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I wore foam plugs to Cedar Point on rides. It is fine, have a good time.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      It doesn't bother your ears keeping the plugs in for the rides?

16. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Not at all, just insert the foam plugs in properly and your good.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      You couldn't pay me enough money to go to a Cowgirls game. haha. But seriously if you do go wear both the plugs and the ear muffs (wear contacts not glasses with the ear muffs). Plus not hearing the game wouldn't effect the experience.

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. Fabrice

Fabrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ED drug
      On my side i have a very special reaction when attending sport events : i like to watch basket ball and noise can be strong so i wear ear plugs when it is too noisy. What happen is that everytime during the event my T actually decrease !!! To a point that i dont hear it for about 4 h after the event itself. Like if the noise creates a fog around my T. Unfortunately it comes back next day... I really dont know how to interpret this. Same happens when i practice sport.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I believe that is called residual inhibition or something like that.