Auris Medical AG Secures $50.6 Million Series C Financing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Royal&Bourbon
      No Mood

Royal&Bourbon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have a question for Mr. Meyer, and hope he has the time to respond.

I would really appreciate his company's thoughts (or in other words, the researchers working on AM-101) on the theory that tinnitus, at some point after onset, becomes "centralized" in the brain and is much more difficult to treat. This idea was mentioned in AM-101's web site and even though it has been increased to 1 year, the company is still instituting a treatment "window."

I am curious if he has an idea how widespread or accepted the theory is within the wider tinnitus research community that tinnitus becomes "memorized" after a period of time by the brain, and thus, is more entrenched and difficult to treat.

2. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I doubt MR Meyer can answer that part well. The works of his team target the cochlea, not the brain itself. Is suppose it's people like Jeanmonod or De Ridder or Langguth who have the best answers to this.

3. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I am very thankful now that there is actually a company that's got a possible treatment in the works! This is so different than 10 years ago when the best option was "living with it". I would love to hear about their efforts towards treating chronic tinnitus too, but I know that beggars can't be choosers. I feel that they are approaching this in a very intelligent manner, by treating tinnitus in a way they feel they can at this time. It may not be what we all want to hear, but its a huge step in the right direction. If they are successful, it will open the floodgates for research money. Which will only be a blessing for all of us. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really feel like there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Godspeed, Thomas and Auris team. Feel free to stop by, and let us know any progress updates as we would love to hear them. If only to clear up any misinformed rumors. :)

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      Thanks for this, Markku. Enjoyed the last sentence most of all."promising treatments in the not too distant future" etc.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      Has anyone here tried intrarympanic injections of anything for their tinnitus. I didn't like the fact that they stated that lower frequencies are harder to treat!!! Because it is caused by the apex of cochlea :-(

7. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I have never had one. There have been mixed reports - some say its not too uncomfortable, I suppose it depends on who's doing it - you dont want some cowboy attempting it!

8. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Man, when I got my tinnitus it seemed like research was moving slowly, and now recently with all this talk about successful and FULL regeneration of inner ears, Auris Medical building drugs to manage glutamate levels and thus tinnitus, and all this work going into stem cell research...

Things are looking bright. I was convinced to myself that it might even be 50+ years before anything resembling a treatment would come along when I got this about a year ago, but I think I might have to scale back my estimate by about half or even more at this point hahah :)

• Like Like x 3