Australian tinnitus research

Discussion in 'Support' started by DebInAustralia, Jan 10, 2014.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi all,

I wanted to ask if any of you know where/who the Australian researchers are for tinnitus as I would be interested in participating in a trial if I thought it was safe and helpful?

2. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I heard recently that the australian tinnitus association is closing due to lack of finding so I'm not confident unfortunately :(

3. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Studies/trials are usually done at Universities

http://www.dineenwestcottmoore.com.au/about.php

Researchers at The University of Western Australia have shown changes in a part of the brain previously not known to be involved in tinnitus generation.
      The nerve cell types and the chemistry of the neural circuitry in this part of the brain differ subtly from those other parts of the brain previously thought to be involved. This means the results published in The Journal of Neuroscience could be potentially important for the future development of drug treatments.
      http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201105043509/research/new-link-tinnitus-research

I took part in a study a couple of years ago. It was run by the University of New England(NSW). But I have no idea of the results or whether the study was published in any journal. Neuromonics originated in Australia. It was originally called TinniTech.

The ATA(American Tinnitus Association) occasionally makes grants to Australian researchers so that might be worth checking.

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Wow, did not know Neuromonics-style treatment was born in Australia. Thanks. Am doing Neuromonics now.