Autifony Therapeutics Phase I Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, May 25, 2013.

1. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I realize that the results of Phase I trials will be out in spring 2014. Would trials from Phase II-Phase IV take the same time (eg. around 1,5 years for one) or would it be more?

2. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Brain memorising stuff I don't belief in it..

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I also read that this has potential to help presbycusis (age related hearing loss) and I will be interested to see how well it works. The company could make a lot of money with aging baby boomers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Yeah the brain memorization thing is bullshit.

Tinnitus is a perception, not an infection. It doesn't change your brain, but the reaction to it does. We're all just anxious about the noise and our brain reacts. Doesn't mean the brain somehow "stores" the tinnitus in memory... that is just retarded sounding.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Hi Robb,
      What are you referring to? Thanks.

6. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I don t belief T wont go away because it is memorised.
      If this was the case there would not exist in such a high variance a fluctuating T or when coming out of a shower almost complete silence (would be weird).

So I refer to my own opinion that with the right development T can be fully cured.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Im curious, has a doctor actually ever said that the brain memorizes it so that it will stay there forever or perhaps some patients just got it wrong?

8. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I think it's an internet myth. Kind of like how a hearing test will speak your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      I've never heard of this idea before that the brain memorizes the tinnitus and was wondering where did the idea come from? I mean is there a link to an article or something scientific? I've read through the thread but don't see where it was first brought up so I have no context for it. On the face of it, from what I'm gleaning from the last few posts, it sounds like some people think that once the brain hears tinnitus, it gets stored in memory and even if the original cause of the tinnitus was cured, the brain would still hear the memory. That doesn't make sense to me as someone whose tinnitus just made a big change in its sound nature. If this theory were correct, why wouldn't I hear what I use to hear?

10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Exactly! If ones T is able to progressivly get louder and louder over time..or change sounds Then it should be able to get quieter and quieter and even cured just like before someone had T.. They just havent figured it out yet.. But someone will :)

• Like Like x 1
    11. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I read the theory of memorisation numerous times on this forum, as it was written down by some members.
      Any scientific paper was not around.

So take it with a grain of salt ;)
      (at least reading the memorisation stuff i memorised it and found it scary :))

12. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Auris states that it is likely thats the brain memorizes it, but that this is a controversial subject among scientists

13. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      lol at my typo. I meant spike.

I'm confused about this drug though. Is this drug something you take forever? Or is this potentially something like, take for 3 months and your tinnitus will be gone?

14. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      the whole brain memorization thing just means that the brain has a part that is continuously distorted because a cause that has passed long ago ... so if the neurons still fire away without any cause it seems to have memorized this action. nothing to worry about when they find a cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If that's the interpretation then it's fine. There's plenty of stories of people losing their tinnitus after having it for years. When I hear the word "memorize" I assume that some neurons that are part of your memory will somehow "store" the signal for the tinnitus and continuously fire it back in. That makes... no sense based on my understanding of the mind, which admittedly isn't professional, but at least somewhat baseline.

So yeah, I agree - if you lose that cycle or neuronal firing or have a drug to break it or have some other therapy to fix it, it'll just go away.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Vkis

Vkis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/16/2012
      Show one/
      it is always - my ANT, neurigist, etc said he knows a man who
      noone saw these people directly

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think Auris said "memorizes" not memorizes. So probably it was just a simplification to make it more easy for patients to understand.

18. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can choose to believe people's personal anecdotes or not. There's been enough that it's believable to me.

I can't prove to you I have tinnitus. I can't prove to you my friend doesn't have tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Whether or Not t is remembered by the brain doesn't really matter. What matters is how we react to it. If you continually act negatively to it it will cause you distress and anxiety. This is what reinforces it. I have a friend who recently told me he has had severe t for 14 years, now he said if it was gone he would miss it! He said it has become a part of him that is like an old friend. I think this is where we need to get to. If we can achieve that then t has no power over us whatsoever.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    20. xmierce

xmierce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I understand what you are saying and habituation is a really good alternative. It's just a matter of the best way to get there and what is the best method to do it. I have had T for 1 1/2 years and it seem to get worse after I got temporary conductive hearing loss from fluid in the ears during a flight.

21. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Habituation is amazing when capable and is done with.. But thats not the only option..theres gotta be a way around the brain mezmorization.. Its bull shit and then bang cure is found!

22. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi All,

I've emailed Autifony just now to see if I can get any information on the clinical trial and possibility of signing up for phase 2, whenever these may be. Will keep the board posted.

Mission

• Like Like x 4
    23. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi All - response from the CSO.

"Thank you for your email and your interest in Autifony's hearing programme. We are currently completing phase I trials with our lead compound, and hope to initiate Phase II trials later this year. Please feel free to check back with our website (www.autifony.com) from time to time for updates.
      We are working hard to develop a treatment for tinnitus.

Best regards
      Charles Large

Chief Scientific Officer
      Autifony Therapeutics Limited"

So phase 2 trials later this year! Will be keeping my eyes peeled for this.

Mission

• Like Like x 2
    24. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Dan
      Fascinating stuff (thanx for the post). Now I'm wondering if my T is a precursor to schizophrenia; do they have any historical data that would present such a correlation? Hope not...

Mark

25. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I would also like to know this! I'm ready to take a pill every half hour if it's necessary :D

• Like Like x 2
    26. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Read the results in the beginning. I think they gave it to the rats for some 2 months and later it went away. But I think it might depend on the person, maybe it will come back. But I think most of us would be willing to do that...
      Charles Large is so handsome :cat:

• Like Like x 1
    27. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      They have never tried it on humans? What if 100% get cured lol. That would be awesome

28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Imidazolidinedione derivatives , This is the scientific name of the compound AUT00063. It has worked 99% cure in mice even 6 months post noise induced trauma. Here is the patent, as you can read in the link below, it would work for many other neurological ailments such as epilepsy, bipolar, schizophrenia, hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis among others - depending on the specific channel being modulated....This could be a miracle drug.
      http://www.google.com/patents/WO2011069951A1?cl=en

Any molecular biologists here who know more about the role of potassium channel gates in the CNS and their pathology and if this drug works, my question would be if this is something we'd have to take for the rest of our lives...? Will the drug lose potency over time? etc.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:

This is just an educated guess, but I would imagine you would have to take the drug for life.

• Informative Informative x 2
    30. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @Hudson Why do you think that?