Autophagy: A Novel Horizon for Hair Cell Protection

Discussion in 'Research News' started by David S, Dec 18, 2021.

1. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Autophagy: A Novel Horizon for Hair Cell Protection

From time to time I read on the forums that extended fasting (dry or water) helped people to improve or even cure severe tinnitus. Among others @Telis reported grate improvement. This study suggests there might be a link between Autophagy and hair cell protection.

I have done a couple of 72-hour water fasts. I had some short term significant improvements but nothing long lasting yet. I will continue to do this every month or every second month.

3 day fasts are not too hard. I usually start Sunday morning and stop Wednesday evening. It does not stop me from working etc. The first 2-3 days I can be as active as normal. The last day is normally a little harder but still ok. Hopefully there is also some general benefits with fasting so no matter the effect on tinnitus, this is not a wasted effort.

For me Autophagy is the most promising treatment for tinnitus and it seems that it can promote self healing.

I would love to hear you thoughts and wish you a happy weekend!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      My tinnitus is from guns. Severe and constant in right ear along with sound distortions.

I have tried 3 day fasts and they didn't help me. I hope it helps you.

Cheers.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I was just curious... How did the fasting go?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I had a recent setback because of a factory visit. I could not continue with the same commitment. I will try to get back to fasting once I feel better again.

5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I hope things go well for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      I managed to do 60 hours of water/coffee/tee fasting, but then I decided to stop because I had such a headache when going to sleep that third night. Maybe I drank too little water during the days.

Anyway, it didn’t affect my tinnitus sounds in any notable way. :(

7. reggie green
      Balanced

reggie green Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      Why did you include coffee?

8. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I came across an article on autophagy that prompted me to try time controlled eating. I'm fasting between 8 pm and 10 am. Stronger individuals than me cut eating down to an 8 hour window. I don't have troublesome tinnitus. I do feel better generally but I made a few lifestyle changes at the same time so I can't put it down to that one change.

You say you felt benefit but it didn't last. So maybe something a bit more regular and more sustainable?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. star-affinity
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just read or heard it somewhere that wouldn't really be a problem when it came to fasting since David Sinclair did drink coffee during his fasting.

David Sinclair is a professor in the Department of Genetics and co-director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging at Harvard Medical School, where he and his colleagues study sirtuins—protein-modifying enzymes that respond to changing NAD+ levels and to caloric restriction—as well as chromatin, energy metabolism, mitochondria, learning and memory, neurodegeneration, cancer, and cellular reprogramming.

DAVID SINCLAIR “Autophagy And...

It's not in the video above where he says it's okay with coffee, but at least it's David being interviewed there that said it if I remember correctly. :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Did he have tinnitus?

11. star-affinity
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You mean David Sinclair?

Don't think so – at least he doesn't mention it. His argument and research is about the health benefits for the body of fasting (at least eating less often) and I understand that the idea has come to those with ear problems and tinnitus hoping that it would help the ear heal in some way.

12. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Fasting and/or calorie restriction is believed to reduce inflammation. Inflammation is believed to affect tinnitus.

Neuroinflammation and Tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 1