Avoiding Loud Situations, for How Long?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zora, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hi Guys,

So I (obviously) know that I should avoid loud places atm. i have noise-induced T since 1, 2 Months now, so my T is still new.
      Sometimes I read I should avoid parties, concerts, going to the pub or going to the club.
      And I do all that! I am not exposing myself to loud noises at all!! I never liked concerts or clubs anyway, and I will always use earplugs in the future.
      But for example tonight a friend of mine is having a house-party.
      I'd like to go but I really dont want to risk anything!

Some guy wrote to avoid this kind of situations for 1 year.

So my question, for how long should I avoid that? I'll always use earplugs anyway, but yeah....I hope u know what I mean:(

2. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      It's hard to say, as there's no specific time frame of avoiding loud places. It's more of a go at your own risk kind of thing. I know it sucks as I'm in a similar position.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I have been to a bar a couple of times and my T has typically spiked for a day or so. Party plugs are a good choice and I try to take them with me when ever needed.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I go to bars and social situations all the time, but I generally wear earplugs when things are over 75db sustained.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      your ears can potentially get back some hearing you lost - for up to one year after the trauma so that's my plan , full year with ear protection and sounds kept under 65 db 24/7.
      You don't want to miss an opportunity to get improvements and even though plugs say 33db of noise reduction that'ts the best number taken out of the high frequencies..the lower frequencies like bass music, speakers and even people voices are not blocked the same - more like 15 to 20db and those can damage already weak ears.

If you still want to risk it then do take breaks - go in and out, have a smoke/drink outside..maybe a bit hard now in Feb for Germany ..

• Like Like x 1