Azithromycin Seems to Have Spiked My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by BrownsFan614, Nov 21, 2018.

1. BrownsFan614

BrownsFan614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Xanax or anti-depressants
      New here and didn’t know where to post this or ask, but I’ve recently noticed a spike in my Tinnitus. It’s much louder. It hasn’t been this loud since I was diagnosed with tinnitus.

I recently took azithromycin 2x500mg for an infection that the test results came back negative for which I didn’t even need to take the azithromycin to begin with. I took it 18 days ago.

I know antibiotics can stay in your system for 7-10 days and I definitely didn’t have a spike in my Tinnitus while taking it or the days after. Not sure if this has damaged my ears more or not. I had no idea antibiotics were ototoxic. I wish I would have googled the antibiotics before taking them.

Now for other factors in my life that may be contributing to a spike in my tinnitus, which happens sometimes but usually goes back down to not noticing it. I haven’t been sleeping well recently, and I also smoke a lot of marijuana which can either help or worsen my tinnitus. I also have bad anxiety and depression which I know doesn’t help either. My anxiety and stress over this isn’t helping I’m sure but I think the antibiotic may have something to do with it.

I was hoping to hear some thoughts on this and whether anyone here thinks the azithromycin could have affected my tinnitus so many days (18) after taking it. I’ve researched it and have learned that any antibiotics ending -mycin are ototoxic and that azithromycin can cause or worsen your tinnitus. Hoping this isn't related but it might be. I’m hoping my spike in volume goes down as it has in the past.

• Like Like x 1