Background Sounds in the Forefront

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Mar 3, 2015.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      As long as I can remember, fans, furnaces, TV's and all kinds of background sounds have really bothered me. Often, I'll ask people to repeat themselves because it seems like small background sounds are really quite loud. I read somewhere that this is another manifestation of tinnitus - that all sounds blend together. My actual hearing tests very well. Anyway, does anyone else have this hypersensitivity to background sounds?

2. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      I've noticed a similar phenomenon; but haven't really given it much thought. Like you imply, I just chalked it up to poor hearing (even though my hearing isn't terrible).

3. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Me too all my life and even more now.
      Traffic from far away that bothered no one else bothered me. I would hear certain "pitches" from fish tank pumps and tv's. Looking back must have looked a little odd to family and friends.

4. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Are these so called the reactive T that most people are talking about here?

5. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure.

6. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Lee#

Lee# Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes. After suffering from acoustic noise trauma, I am experiencing the same symptoms. (I have high frequency hearing loss.)

After the noise incident, the sounds from electrical devices and industrial equipment have become extremely bothersome. These sounds are louder, and less crisp. I also have difficulty determining their source. Some examples of the types of problems I am having include:
      - I question if I am hearing the dishwasher in the kitchen or the washing machine in the basement.
      - The sound of a leaf blower, outside, and a 1/4 mile away is so loud that I need to use earmuffs inside.
      - Masking devices such as fans and heaters sound loud and uncomfortable.
      - When I am having a conversation and there is background noise, I now need to ask people to repeat themselves.

8. SSJ

SSJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Although the sound is always present, I barely notice it until I watch the big TV in the living room. Then it becomes very loud and persists a long time. I wonder why? The other TVs in my home don't bother me as much. Using earphones is preferable for me while watching TV.