Balloon Pop, Never Experienced Tinnitus Before

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rustics, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Rustics

Rustics Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Balloon
      One of my coworkers blew up a latex glove, and decided to pop it right beside my left ear. As soon as it pooped, it sounded like a bomb went off, the ringing was so intense I could not hear anything at all over it... fast forward 20 hours, the ringing still occurrs and whenever I clap or something the ringing spikes.
      I'm 17 and I've never really experienced this kind of thing?
      Is my ear permanently damaged?
      Will it be like this forever?
      If not how long do you thing ?

I know every question you can't answer but I just want some info on wtf is wrong with me and if I have tinnitus

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Rustics. Sorry to hear this happened to you. There are others on this forum more knowledgeable than I am and they will be able to give you better advice than me. But I am hoping for you that your ringing fades away. :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Most likely it'll go away, but every case is different. Don't listen to loud things in the meantime. I wish you the best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      You should sue them

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Its very early days. No reason yet to assume the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Rustics, many on this forum have years of experience with tinnitus but nobody can answer your question with any degree of accurately. In the meantime, try to stay away from anything that might normally contribute towards tinnitus including loud noises as well as earphone/headphone use.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rustics

Rustics Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Balloon
    9. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, this is tinnitus, however, no one can say for sure whether it is permanent or not but as PaulBe said I wouldn't assume the worst.
      • See an ENT, it might be a good idea to ask for prednisone (it's most effective in the first 24-48 hours)
      • Protect your ears from very loud noises (clubs, gigs, sports events, etc)
      • the full ear feeling might take some time to go away completely, unfortunately, no one can tell you when exactly that will happen

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had had it right after my acoustic trauma (my T turned on only 11 days later). It lasted for a long time, but was completely gone sometime between months 3 and 9 (sorry I can't be more precise, my focus has been mostly on T).

In addition, I have had that ear fullness sensation after a number of micro-acoustic-traumas that I got to experience since onset. It would always go away. According to a number of posts I remember reading here, a number of others had similar experiences when it comes to ear fullness.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rustics

Rustics Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Balloon
      That's very unfortunate to hear(pun) Seems to be something I must live with. It has been almost two days now. Does not seem so bad in all honesty
      All I fear for, I still attend school and we have fire drills, which are ear piercing. And I'm afraid I will worsen this even further. The ring really shines when I hear loud noises like. A sudden clap / car horn etc

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Now that your ears have been compromised, it Might take less to make your T louder.

You may want to buy 3M Peltor X5A ear muffs and always carry them with you. You could buy 3M earplugs, but they take longer to insert than it takes to slip on X5A muffs. X4A don't look as bulky (and would not draw as much attention), but provide less protection.

13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Two days is too early to know whether it’s permanent or not. Other people had tinnitus slowly but surely fade away within a year or even two years. Others experience tinnitus for weeks until it goes away. No one knows whether your tinnitus will stay or not. Same with you ear feeling full, we can’t tell you when it’ll go away but I’m hopeful that it will. Wishing you all the best and hoping that it’ll fade away!

• Agree Agree x 1