Barometric Pressure and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by svintegrity, Mar 5, 2015.

1. I am sorry if this is a repeat of any previous discussions, but I am new to this forum. Has anyone else experienced an increase in their T with a decrease in barometric pressure?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @svintegrity: My tinnitus loudness will increase with barometric changes associated with weather. I think! There often is no way to know for sure. Others here have noticed a similar phenomenon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, I'm sure mine has. My husband also has tinnitus, and he has experienced it, too. Yesterday, we had some rapid changes in our weather, and it really affected our tinnitus. I have PT, as well, and sometimes the barometric pressure affects that, too.

• Like Like x 2
    4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      A timely post for me, today I started to keep a log to see if there is any correlation between barometric pressure and T.

What I do know for sure: Tuesday T was very low around a 3 I was soaking up the calm & quietness, then I made the big mistake, I dozed off for just a half hour about 5:00pm and woke up with T at a 10+ This had happened to me before, when ever T is low and I doze off for just 15-30 min. I was so angry when I woke. I knew better, but it just happened. It is still at a 10. I will post results if there is a connection.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svintegrity
      No Mood

svintegrity Member Benefactor

@gary Dozing off makes my T go up too. I will be interested in hearing more about your connections.

6. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      That is interesting, also once my T is high like now taking a nap has never lowered it. The only time my T is ever lower is when I awake in the morning, if it is low then theres a good chance it will stay that way a least for the day, then when I go to bed, thats where the T change takes place I can wake up with it at a 10 and it will stay that way. My only hope of it lowering is when I go to bed and perhaps it is low when I get up.

Once It is loud, it stays that way the whole day. There is something beyond the scope of my limited knowledge to explain this phenomenon, but I do know something changes T when I am sleeping, when I do wake up in the morning and get only 5 hours of sleep I stroll may wake up with low T, so for me anyway it's not the amount of sleep I get causing high or low T but something is changing T while I am sleeping. I have mentioned or started a thread about this here on TT, and others have posted they experienced the same or similar T experience.

Nonetheless I find this very interesting.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Funny, we are all so different.

I am always guaranteed one really loud time a day: as soon as I wake up in the morning. Never fails. But I have found listening to my Neuromonics device or masking as soon as I can get and grab my (decaf) coffee really tamps it back down.

I also kept a log for awhile but I will mention this: my log made me pay more attention to my tinnitus than I wanted to. So after I figured out my triggers (most which were things I cant control anyway, like the weather), I stopped.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svintegrity
      No Mood

@gary and @ LadyDi Once my T is loud it stays that way the whole day too. My only hope is if it is low when I wake up in the morning, which is rare. I used to be able to get it down during the day with a four mile run, but I haven't been able to get it down since I did Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment for two months. Neuromonics has made my T and H worse, and the abuse I received from Eula Adams, the CEO of Neuromonics, when I inquired about my worsening symptoms made me realize that they are only interested in making money and not in helping people with tinnitus. Gary, what is the name of the thread you have posted about sleeping? Sleeping always raises my T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svintegrity
      No Mood

How would I contact people who did HBOT.

11. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      It was awhile back, I will look for it though. If I find it I will post it here..

12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svintegrity
      No Mood

Thanks Gary.

14. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @svintegrity: I am not defending Neuromonics, it's profits or any attitude blowback you might have gotten from its CEO. But...did you discontinue Neuromonics after two months? If so, that may be the reason you received no benefit from the treatment. Your tinnitus usually is louder in the beginning, as you are listening to the device at a louder volume than your T. It took me three months to feel anything other than the norm -- or worse than the norm. It is a one year program when done properly (and many clinicians don't do it properly). Didn't you pay the full fare in advance? If so, why not stick with the program?

BTW: There is an extensive HBOT thread here at TT. I considered the treatment but decided no. Do a search and read the thread. If you have particular questions of certain posters, you can PM them.
      Cheers!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svintegrity
      No Mood

@LadyDi I was aware that the Neuromonics treatment is a long-term treatment and was fully prepared to give it a full year or more. I discontinued the Neuromonics treatment after two months, because I was getting loud high screeching noises in both ears (my T was unilateral for a year before Neuromonics) that were unbearable, and my H was getting to the point that I couldn't go out of the house. I couldn't even put the Oasis in my ears at a low volume. Any maskers made the noise in my head even worse. I have a vascular loop that was found to be pressing on my eighth cranial nerve, compressing my auditory nerve and displacing my vestibular nerve. I believe that my nerve was getting overstimulated. The audiologist was impossible to work with, missed appointments, and changed medical records. She was the closest practitioner using Neuromonics and was a 19 hour roundtrip away (with an overnight) because I live on an island. My Oasis was not set properly because I had no hearing loss at the level of my T, and I could always hear it loudly because it is a loud high-pitched pulse, but my good ear was getting blasted. I am scheduled for neuro surgery in a week and a half, with a co-surgeon case. Yes, I did pay $5000 in advance, but thought with all of the adverse effects I was experiencing, and the new information of a pending neuro surgery, that there might be a chance of a partial refund. No dice there. I am out the money and have no trust in the practitioner at this point. If I do continue with treatment, it will be with a different practitioner and will cost more money. I have had to give up work because my T got so bad using Neuromonics, so I have no income at the moment. I really do appreciate your well meaning advice. I think my situation is different from classic T, because they have found a definite pathology. If I have residual noise after my skull-based surgery, I will re-evaluate my options. Neuromonics or TRT may be among them. Again, I appreciate your advice and kindness. Thank you for listening AND thank you for taking the time to respond.

16. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Going back to the BAROMETRIC PRESSURE topic..
      In the fall of last year I started noting some weather correlation with High/Low T days.
      It was never really consistent though. I then added a barometric pressure app to my phone and referred to it daily to see if any trends in pressure matched trends in T.
      At first it almost looked like there was a pattern - bad T on low BP days, lesser T on high BP days. Then there some days that it didn't match up.
      I was also experiencing extreme T on certain days in my left ear on certain days. After a couple of weeks I was able to pin this occurrence exclusively to days that BP took a serious nosedive. If the BP stayed consistently low for a while, it would level out a bit.
      With that in mind I started looking for a patterns of spikes in BP and viola, that was the key common denominator.
      On the first day of a suddenly high BP, T would be bad. If it stayed consistently high for a while it would match the best, low T days. Days that BP stays consistently low are not a good as consistently high BP days but never as bad as spikey (high to low to high etc) BP days.
      I established this in December and it has been dead on accurate for me since then (now late April).
      Furthermore, my "funky vertigo" days are also dead-on accurately predictable with fast spikes in BP. I've only had two headaches in this period but both matched the same "spike associated" predictability.

I'm not sure what any of this means but I figured I would share...
      The 1020.00 mark is pretty much home base for good T days (so long as it stays in range for a half day or so.
      Graphic shows 30 days. All periods shown above 1020.00 were very good days. The last week has not been great..

bp.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I'd be interested to hear from folks within today/tomorrow's plains/midsouth extreme weather event who note changes in T.
      This would Texas, north to Nebraska - east thru TN and surrounding states.

18. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      And where as my day started with gnarly T, a solid 13 hours of equalized Barometric has resulted in a more tolerable evening.
      No doubt things will change as this storm system passes thru..

19. RSpring

RSpring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      35+years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud house growing up, rock concerts, other...
      Hi there,
      I am new at joining a group for T. I have had it for so long, it is etched in my soul. I have tried several remedies, nothing really works. The best thing for me, is to sit quietly, with soft music in the background. I have had to stop playing my headphones when I work out, because it hurts. Also, does anyone ever get itchy inside their ears?

20. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @jeanoroid
      Hi! Yes, I too notice a difference with the weather. I live in TX and we've had a lot of storms lately. I notice an increase in my ear pressure and H when the storms come through.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Yes, the pressure is almost always associated with these storms for me.
      Today the BP is rising and my ears are squealing. I do believe it is the transition up and down that affects my ears the most - with ideal situation being maintained high pressure periods. And in TN this usually occurs during the summer.
      So bring on summer!

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    22. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Major nosedive in barometer today - and like clockwork my T is just wailing. H is up as well.

Anyone else in TN or surrounding noting any difference today?

23. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      baro.png

24. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      Where I live in the Alps we have a weather change called the Föhn. Basically is a strong warm wind and it can cause headaches/migraines. Today there was no föhn (yesterday was a big storm) but my head was definitely buzzing more today than usual.

• Like Like x 1
    25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @jeanoroid: I do admire your dedication in charting this phenomenon. As I mentioned higher in this thread (a long time ago), my tinnitus definitely rises and falls with the weather. It's very noticeable during the summer here in South Florida, as we daily get big thunderstorms rolling through. Others here at TT have talked about barometric change influences as well.

But as I said above, can't do anything about the weather. While such efforts are interesting, I do think you run the risk of paying too much attention to your tinnitus -- and the information you gather won't do anything to ease your loudness.

• Like Like x 1
    26. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones

I agree with that about "too much attention" potentially pretty much always being a bad thing.
      But I have mostly habituated the anxiety of T out my conscious psyche at this point so I wanted to pinpoint some external factors to the highs and lows.
      The positives for me are that when the ringing goes up and if I do have an anxious relapse response it is comforting to say "hey this barometric pressure" will level out tomorrow or the next day.
      To completely erase attention to T, the first thing we might all do would be to stop visiting forums where it's essentially the only thing being talked about. There is a lot of content here that could be quite frightening to the newly acquire T owner...
      But if this info about BP has a calming effect for me - maybe it will for someone else and that's pretty much the only reason I'm here. I'm not holding out for a cure at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
    28. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      Hello. My tinnitus is at its worst when weather changes from good to cloudy and rainy.
      Should be inflammation related. Also people with arthritis feel worse in bad weather.

• Like Like x 1