Best Earmuffs for Mowing the Lawn?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sash, May 10, 2019.

1. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      What would be the best earmuffs to get for mowing the lawn?

I could get someone else to cut the lawn but think I would prefer to cut myself although my tinnitus is getting worse.

2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      No idea, but I would not mow the lawn if my tinnitus was getting worse...

3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      What about the push lawn mower? They have no motor yet I assume may take a little longer. Might be a better alternative.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
    6. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980s Concerts Hyperacusis Since: 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and Occupational Hazards as a Young Adult
      @Sash,

I am a member, here, partly because I loved to mow my acre with hearing protection. The skull and vibration conductivity, once, when my tinnitus was already on the rise a little - messed me up worse than anything else ever has - despite hearing protection. Nevertheless, most contend the best muffs for blocking sound are the 3m Peltor x5A modal - there is nothing else made like them; check out the technical stuff, regarding all of them, and you will see what I mean. I've been through many types of hearing protection - some members can tell you way too much protection.

Nevertheless, those Peltors are bulky and uncomfortable for a good portion of the population. I still wear them, and they are fine for me, in moderate weather, for an hour or two. Other people can recommend lower-profile options - I would not, because hearing - not comfort - is most important to me.

My reel-mower cost me less than 100 dollars, and it doesn't take me any longer to mow my acre - it's just that it doesn't cut the dandelions down - so I have to go around and do that by hand. If my blades are sharp, the lawn can be cut on the first go at it - no back and forth - just go.

So, I feel it is a better option; but I would not have believed it until I tried myself.

Good Luck

7. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
    8. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What reel mower do you use? I need to get one but I'm not sure which one to get.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I have a battery one and it is loud which did cause a spike earlier as I didn't even have ear plugs on, I think some others recommend getting a petrol lawn mower

10. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Thanks for the detailed message. I have just ordered 3M Peltor x5A as I recall quite a lot of people had recommended them earlier on different forum. By the way do you use both ear plugs and the 3m Peltor X5A when mowing the lawn. It should only take me an hour to mow the lawn so the ear muffs should be fine. I am just more wary following a spike last summer when mowing the lawn.

12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had tinnitus for 23 years. It is variable and can reach very severe levels and have had no problems using my ear defenders with gardening equipment and electric power tools. They cost around £10/$13. I see no justifiable reason for spending copious amounts of money on ear defenders/muffs simply, for using a petrol lawnmower or strimmer to cut grass. The reason being, if external sound is too loud it will pass through the head/skull and be transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction and spike the tinnitus. No ear defender/muff or earplugs can stop this.

Michael

13. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I would trust a 3M product. '3M Company
      A contracting company agreed to pay $9.1 million to resolve allegations that it knowingly sold the U.S. military defective earplugs. The Minnesota-based 3M Company allegedly sold its dual-ended Combat Arms Earplugs, Version 2, to the Defense Logistics Agency without disclosing defects that decreased the actual effectiveness of the hearing protection the device offered.'

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My lawn takes 2+ hours to do, with a combination of lawn mower, weed trimmer, and blower, all gasoline powered. The mower is about 87 db's, and the other equipment is in the mid 90 db's.

I use both earplugs (NRR 33), and combine it with low profile ear muffs (NRR 20). I find adding the ear muffs has a few benefits:

- Additional noise reduction of approx 5 db's according to the formulas
      - Extra layer of safety in case an earplug is not perfectly inserted
      - Keeps earplugs in place when going past branches on trees
      - Keeps ears warm when cold out
      - Reduces bone conduction of noise vibrations around the ear area to protect from additional damage

• Like Like x 1
    15. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980s Concerts Hyperacusis Since: 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and Occupational Hazards as a Young Adult
      @rdz & @Sash, this one, here, went up from the $99 I paid a couple of months ago; but it is the one. Maybe because of Summer being right around the corner, supply & demand makes it higher - bummer. Where I live, the grass starts growing in March.

I have an easier and quicker time, for all but some weeds, with this reel-mower versus power mowers. It came highly recommended, and I am shocked at the terrific performance.

Good luck; your T will surely thank you!

And @Sash , you were asking about protecting with both muffs and plugs: if someone forced me at gunpoint to mow with a power mower - I would indeed use both - it adds about a 5 db reduction to the mix.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-2000-...S7C5WQE1G86&psc=1&refRID=JJ5MHG8PZS7C5WQE1G86