Best Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by needtostop, Feb 15, 2016.

1. needtostop

needtostop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/16
      Hi.

Is it advisable to get ear plugs?

I have only had this ringing for 5 days... I am hoping it will go for good, but until then preventative measures need to be taken.

I don't want to use those yellow things, is there any out there for around £20 that are more moulded and continuous use? preferably skin coloured?

I found some on ebay for £17 but can't locate em now.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes.

Moulded, as in customized to your ear canal?

I've never seen those go for £20.

They are costlier, but definitely worth the investment, and they last a long while.

http://acscustom.com/uk/product-category/hearing-protection/

After buying, you get a voucher with which you can go and have your ear impressions made.

There are other brands available too (Etymotic, Elacin, Westone, etc), but they're pretty much in the same price bracket.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Your choices are ACS/Etymotic er20 or Alpine classic earplugs.

Those are what I would recommend for that price range.

4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

I noticed you added preferably skin colour. Please don't feel ashamed to use ear plugs, this is half the problem, people not thinking they are cool enough.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      needtostop

needtostop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/16
    6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I prefer the smaller grips personally but it's down to preference.

7. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
    8. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Yeah I have some transparent musician's plugs as well, very similar to gr8fulDude's. My set came with 2 sets with different attenuators. They are magic. The less aggressive ones are good for having a conversation and not hearing your own voice(or tinnitus) so much, and the more aggressive ones are better for noiser environments.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      needtostop

needtostop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/16
    10. Chey

Chey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck.
      I bought the Etymotic ones last month but they only lasted a few days before my dog got ahold of them. I really liked them though. They're fancy and filtered.

11. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      For molded earplugs do you have to see someone locally so they can fit them properly? Do you recommend seeing an audiologist for this?

12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You need to see an audiologist for an ear mold and then wait while they make them. I think it took around 2-3 weeks to get mine.

13. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      How much do they generally range price wise? Also, can you hear normal conversations with them in or is it very muted like foam plugs?

14. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      mine were around $200, and I think thats a pretty average price. Regarding hearing normal conversations, I usually just leave the strongest filter in mine so hearing conversations can be hard at times, but I'd say generally custom moulded ones with filters are more clear than foam earplugs.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      You guys are they the same kind they use for hunting made by decibullz ear plugs . Look them up . Way cheaper.

16. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I would not say they are the same, because the custom earplugs most people refer to on this website are musician earplugs. The difference is that these are made of a high grade silicone based on a deep mold from your ear canal (reducing occlusion and improving fit). Also, they offer interchangeable filters that are designed to reduce noise to a variety of different environments (such as a 15bd reduction filter, 25 db reduction filter etc.) as well as provide clearer sound quality. The decibullz plugs you personally mold only do the outer ear to keep them in place, the actual tip going into the ear is your typical flange style ear piece.

With that said, those decibullz seem like a decent alternative to foam earplugs to provide solid protection at an attractive price, while being reusable. They won't have the luxuries of the musician earplugs, but still a good option, based on what I saw on their website.

Edit: now that I think of it they remind me of my surefire earplugs I use for hockey. If you care to look them up, its a similar concept, except the surefire's don't mold to your ear, instead having a bendy ring that keeps them in place

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, what are some good earplugs that best work? For example, for a party or loud places, thank you :)

18. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      I really recommend custom mold earplugs. Yeah, sure they are more expensive, but they have many advantages over foam plugs and other non-custom made ones. I have the Elacin brand, but there are other comparable brands which are probably just as good. I went to the audiologist and it took about 2 weeks and 120 euro to make them. They last about 5 years (as your ear canal evidently changes shape during your life).

(1) Super quick to put in, just couple of seconds
      (2) Customization, you can choose from different options how much attenuation you want (usually via filter) in various frequency ranges. For example, I use the ER25 which is especially suited for musicians.
      (3) I think (though I don't know for sure) that they help with avoiding ear pressure problems during transportation, I feel that for example if I am flying the pressure is more readily equalized with those plugs.
      (4) Though I don't care personally, the ones I have are transparent so you hardly see them.

They are definitely not cheap, but what is 120 euro / 5 years to protect your ears? That's 24 euro per year or about 10 beers per year..

good luck..

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much! I will definitely look into the earplugs you have, I agree, it's worth the money and it lasts 5 years! I wish you best of luck, continue being great, cheers!