Best Invisible Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Boxdra, Dec 30, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new here and might have tinnitus. I have had ringing in my ear for the past 4 days and it doesn't seem like iets getting better.

Now if it stays, I would like to buy good earplugs as fast as possible. I think everyone here wants to lead the most 'normal' life as possible.

So the more invisible the earplugs are, the better. Does anyone know where you can buy good earplugs that are almost invisible for other people to see?

2. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      Don't give up hope! 4 days is not that long and there is still a good chance it diminishes! As for the earplugs I'm really not to sure. I know some audiology clinics make custom ear plugs that very in decibel level and are pretty discrete. However these usually run around 150 a pair. I'm sure some of the season TTalkers can point you in the right direction. Also, remember that your ears require external sounds and excessive use of ear protection may cause hyperacusis. Good luck!

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I try not to give up hope, bit it did not get any better the last days so im it will stay. When can you say its permanent? I'm going to visit the docter today. Any advice?

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Any special event that caused the Tinnitus? I would ask the ENT for cortisone and make sure to get your hearing tested to see if there is any hearing loss involved. 4 days is nothing it can still easily fade away - please stay positive!

5. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I think i was listening to music that was to loud with earplugs. I also have had a lot of stress for a loonng time. Thats the only thing I can think of. I know I should stay positive but ive never had it for this long. I have no idea when its forever.

6. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Don't get into the trap of thinking about it all day, monitoring it all the time, and getting stressed and anxious when you realise it's still there. Its a downwards spiral. Get out before you get stuck! Continue on with your day as before and forget about it. If you do that, it will be MUCH more likely to fade away.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Thnx neenie, I will try that. The docter said the standard stuff I guess. It Goes away or is doesnt. The next weeks. I do want to watch nu hearing. I'm scared to go to to a café now.

8. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Definitely do NOT stop going out. It will make it a lot worse. Keep doing all the normal things you do. Cafe noise is absolutely fine. Don't trap yourself away in silent rooms. Enrich your environment as much as you can with other sounds. And remember, if it can be solved then there's no need to worry, and if it can't be solved, then worry is of no use!

9. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Is café noise really fine? I hope. If thats true then I don't have to worry.

10. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You don't even know for sure at this point if you got Tinnitus from listening to loud music or from the stress you had. From my experience people who have noise induced tinnitus have much more trouble with noisy places than those without. So don't worry about it now. Just take a pair of ear plugs with you in case it seems too loud for you, also, in a cafe you can always leave if your not doing ok. Remember that! But you will be ok I promise. A cafe really isn't a problem, it's not a bar or a crowded pub or something.usually there is only a little bit of background music. You will feel a million times better once you start to do stuff again instead of just sitting at home concentrating on the damn noise...trust me on that.

11. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Agreed. Cafe noise is absolutely no problem. If it were then everyone would have tinnitus! Shopping malls are fine also. Even the movies are fine. Keep doing your normal stuff and take earplugs with you just incase you freak out, but seriously don't worry about it! You're fine!

12. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Huh? You said in the other thread you Walker out of the movies? And movies music is reaallyy loud.

13. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yer, that is because I am paranoid. And I don't want you to also become paranoid. Seriously, I went to movies for years and was fine. You'll be absolutely fine!

14. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Yes but you don't have tinnitus for years right?

15. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have had tinnitus for years now and I've been to cafes a hundred times since then and I also went to the movies quiet many times (i use plugs though if its a loud movie) and it did nothing to me.

16. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I'm talking about things you can do without earplugs.

Ok thats nice to know. Then cafés will be fine. And what of you are in a crowded room and you have to speak louder to hear the other person? The other guy who has tinnitus for 40 years said movies are not smart to go to without earplugs. Thats why I was confused.

17. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      In my opinion it depends. There are smaller cinemas and bigger ones which tend to be much louder. And then not every movie is the same.. If it's a movie with a lot of action and shootings going on I would personally protect my ears , if its a movie without any of this I would probably not protect my ears because it just isn't too loud so watch some actors talk on the big screen. just take the plugs with you and see how it goes. You can buy a pair of those musician plugs with various filters for different levels of loudness and see which filter is good for you in which situation.
      But please don't make the mistake and be scared of absolutely normal noise levels like a crowded room, a mall or a cafe. Be smart when it comes to protecting your ears but not scared. And most important don't start plugging your ears every where you go, I know there are people who do so also in this forum but in my opinion that will make you hyperacustic and hyper sensitive to all kinds of noises. just trust yourself, try things out and then see when you need protection and when not because in the end we are all different when it comes to tolerating noises. just make sure to have ear plugs handy at all times just in case you need them

18. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I will follow your advice, thank you!

19. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Boxtra- i think if you go to movies now you must wear ear plugs. My t got really worst for about 2 months after I went for a movie .
      I think if you wear good ear plugs (30-32 DB protection ) it's ok to go .ear plugs does make a HUGE difference .

20. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Yeah thought so. Can someone teach me or find a instruction an what earplugs are best and why?

21. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

One more question: when can you say its permanent? How long till you know its probably not getting better?

I have one story about a person why got it through firework. He had it for five years. He just went to the club every week without hearing protection. Then one day he came back and it was gone. Weird.

22. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

23. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      For not to loud events eg. Malls ,noisy restaurants or may be not so loud bars these plugs looks good .
      Do you how the rating on these plugs ?i have been looking for something like this for a very long time !. Thank you .

24. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

If I know if they rate well? No, thats what I was wondering.

If this works its amazing. You need two kinds of plugs; one for normal social things (louder bithday party, restaurant, etc) and really good ones for heavyer things (clubs, movies, etc.)

Because these are almost invisible they would be really good for birthday party's and stuff.

25. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      nRR only 5! ..just not enough protection at all.

26. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Huh can you explain? What's not good about them and why not?

27. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    28. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

19db is fine for things like a small party.

This could be a life saver. No people contantly asking why you have plugs.

I want to try them but i'm pretty scared. Is there a way to find out if they are good or not?

29. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Sorry to dubbel post, but it indeed says nrr 5 (up to 19db). What are they saying with this? Is this good enough?

They also have 'peace and quiet' earplugs that are over 22db of reduction. These might be better for us?

30. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      91FhWWnQuzL._SL1500_.jpg