Best Non-Ototoxic Anxiety Meds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SusanGee, Mar 9, 2015.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      The problem with asking people here what is ototoxic or not is what has already happened. You will get a wide range of answers, some correct, some way off balance and the rest somewhere in between.

Here is a good list: http://nowhearthisclinic.com/cms2/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf. Read the text under each category though, it gives important info about those class of drugs. Even though ototoxic, some may be temporary and some may be highly ototoxic.

Most of us have taken anti-depressants and/or anti anxiety meds after since we got T and for I don't recall many saying they got worse because of them. In most cases it helped.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      Right, erik. I have a bird keep whispering in my ear to not get so bogged down in what I use or not. It's helpful. I don't get as darned obsessed with the brain that roared - it just frickin' happens and there's little I can do about it.

awbw8: I agree with you complete and it's an odd but true statement that you made, "I agree, something that calms to you down to sleep is probably better if you can manage it. I definitely got the feeling ambien just plain knocked me unconscious - I didn't really "sleep" or feel that rested. Still, that was better than nothing back when things were really, really bad." The ambien built up in me and I could feel it when I had too much in my system. When that happened too much, I had to reduce the amount I was taking. So, being pretty dead (we're both saying this) is better than being completely brain dead :) . Is that a lose-lose even though we both agree... yikes, what a world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      My problem when trying to control or taper is the anxiety is so high my stomach gets beat up- more anxiety.
      Cant eat...I have tried to use as little as I can, but the need goes up.

4. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    5. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I really doubt that their is a non-ototoxic sleep med. Weed,THC is also ototoxic. I had a serious spike today. Its still their 5 hrs latter. Like I said before the FDA and the American Gov is shameful. 50,000.000 in need of meds and theres not much to choose from. Bless you all. Im taking Belsomra and they dont tell you if its ototoxic or not. Amazing they can release a med and not divulge its total side effect.

6. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
    7. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      Still on Remeron? Is T still the same? ....Thanks

8. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No, I finally stopped taking Remeron a couple of months ago. I've gained too much weight and I simply don't need it for sleep anymore. Although I suspect that going off it has made my T act up. Hopefully it's only temporary.

9. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      I hope so too,,,,hang in there! wish you the best!

• Like Like x 1