Big Setback... Need Support Urgently...

Discussion in 'Support' started by lifeisover, Mar 13, 2018.

1. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I'm so scared right now... I had a big setback. I was trying to become better at managing tinnitus and anxiety about it but I feel like I doomed myself for good this time.

3 days ago I received some news I had difficulties handling, to say the least. I spent 3 days crying, shouting, screaming, I had difficulties calming down. I haven't slept in this time, whenever I fall asleep I wake up within minutes, scared, to nightmares. My ears feel stuffed and loud. I am terrified I did this to myself. I calmed down, no more screaming, but my whole body is still feeling foreign. I'm shaking, I feel sick to my stomach, and worst of all my ears are blaring loud. I am so terrified this will be permanent damage to my ears, from the shouting and crying.

Please if you have any similar experience, anything to say, please help me. I don't know what to do. I am my own worst enemy and I think I caused a spike that will last forever, or maybe even hearing loss from the shouting.

Could I really have caused damage to my ears? Should I go to an ENT to get my hearing and tinnitus checked after this panic? I don't know what to think anymore, I am only terrified.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi lifeisover, you have other issues going on here which seem to be depression and anxiety. Tinnitus is no longer your main concern in my opinion. Talk to a friend or relative about how you feel and then go and seek help. You will likely benefit from counselling and CBT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I know I have other issues, 'm just worried about my tinnitus right now, my whole focus has always been to protect my ears and now this. I am scared I could have caused actual damage to my ears.

4. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Sounds like you're in a state of total shock and panic. As horrible as that feels, it will pass!

I agree with Ed that seeking professional psychological support would be a good idea. In the meantime, you're only adding to your anxiety by worrying that you damaged your ears. It's very unlikely that this is the case. I've never heard of anyone sustaining permanent damage from their own screaming. The logical explanation is that it's your anxiety causing the spike. You need to do whatever you can to calm down because staying in this state is detrimental in many ways. Easier said than done, I know.

You could try some breathing or relaxation exercises. I've also heard that alternating between hot and cold water in the shower reduces acute anxiety. Light, easy movement, e.g. some simple yoga poses, can help. Getting a massage... These are all things that can break through the 'red alert' state and get you out of your constantly worrying mind by connecting with your body. I spent a lot of time finding the right anxiety management techniques that work for me; feel free to PM me if you like.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s you’re problem though. You have worked yourself up into a state of despair and I really feel for you because I know how it feels. Your own voice will not make your tinnitus worse. These are your catastrophic thoughts taking over and guilt tripping you because you are depressed and anxious.

You need to stop worrying about sounds causing damage because they don’t. Only prolonged loud noise does and extremely loud impulse noises. The rumination is slowly destroying your morale and happiness and you need to break the cycle. I think it’s best you seek professional help, but we’re all here for you on TT. In the mean time, try not to worry, you haven’t done any further damage to yourself.

Try and do some other activities that take your mind off it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Things happen and at times we can lose our cool and our emotions can run wild. You are keeping your tinnitus aggravated by carrying that negative energy. Move on, relax and just try to be tranquil. I see no reason why you need to see an ent for this. You can if you want, it's up to you, but I wouldn't.

In general, If i was going to see an ent, it would be because I have pain in my ears or an infection. Try to relax and get some sleep. If you feel that your ears/hearing is damaged, then possibly get them tested by audiologist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The simple answer is that you haven’t caused damage to your ears, but your worry and stress is generally making you feel sick. There’s no quick solution to make you feel better, but you’re in good company here because we all understand that feeling. Try to remain calm because you’ve done NOTHING wrong. @Hazel made some good points about trying to relax yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Ed unfortunately this vicious cycle hits close to 55-70% of tinnitus folks. Especially in the beginning and for some it can last for years. That's how bad tinnitus can torment people, I don't blame them. Having a mastery of our emotions is so vital in life, especially when we are dealing with the cards of tinnitus. This is one beast that will torture us, if we let negativity, panic and fear set in. Therapy and talking it out with a trained therapist can be quite helpful. Stress/anxiety is horrible and at times it can be worst than actual sounds.

I hope everyone can find peace and not let this ugly thing called stress/tinnitus rattle them.... As I say in a lot of my posts, we need to be disciplined and just train our minds to not re-act to negativity/stress. It's not always easy but it is achievable.

I wish peace for all :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve been right at the bottom of the well fishbone. It’s the worst place on earth and I don’t plan on going back there any time soon. I had to scratch and claw my way out of that place.

The anxiety that feeds the tinnitus is a horrible vicious cycle which is beautifully illustrated below:

E2E47176-1F4D-4156-B335-55221BB9A17C.jpeg

It’s hard to break free. @lifeisover, take comfort in the knowledge that many on here have really bad tinnitus and continue to lead a fulfilling life. This is not going to stop you having a happy life; you need it’s permission to do that. Stay strong, we’re all with you.

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @lifeisover ,
      Have you come to terms with the bad news you had and support from family or friends.
      You can always call the Samaritans or Mind if that would help.
      Taking back control and sorting a problem out and clearing your head will help you through this emotional wobble your having and that is spiking your tinnitus.
      Sometimes writing a problem down and looking at it helps you visualise a way forward.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 2
    11. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ed209 , can you give me a source for that diagram? It might be useful for the Tinnitus Guide project that I'm working on.

12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    13. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great, thanks! :)

14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    15. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And @fishbone , do you have a source for that statistic? Or any source that gives an indication of the % of people with tinnitus that suffer considerably?

Apologies, @lifeisover , I do not mean to sidetrack this thread, just gathering info that could help others. We're still here to help you!

• Like Like x 1