Bike Ride Spike. I REFUSE TO GIVE UP YET!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      So I needed to test the bike ride to and from work. The ride half of it consists through a neighborhood. The other half is around busy roads and one MAJOR busy intersection. I obviously need to have to cover my ears when at the intersection. But I know I can't wear earplugs (osculation effect). But what is also a problem is the wind. I have to combat the wind in my ears. I had a big spike due to this.

So how can I combat the harsh interception sound, and the wind in my ears?

Some people I'd genuinely like some knowledgeable advice about this one is: @Bill Bauer @Michael Leigh @Tinker Bell @Red Please let me know your thoughts guys. I have literally 1 day to figure this out lol. Or I got to walk the two miles.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is there a way to change the route to a quieter one? It might make sense to do that even if it doubles or triples the distance that you will have to ride... I guess that still doesn't address the problem of the wind. Perhaps you could try wearing a head scarf under your bike helmet
      upload55b370d2bcc59.jpg

to see whether it might help...

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I can try a headscarf, would I be able to wear earmuffs or would that be problematic?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wear earmuffs when I walk besides a busy road and when I drive. I don't think this has any impact on my safety. However, biking while reducing your ability to hear Might be unsafe. Only you will be able to know whether or not this is the case. Another reason why I haven't mentioned muffs is that you mentioned occlusion effect, and I thought that it might also be a factor if you wear muffs. Try wearing them and if the occlusion effect is not a problem and if you feel that you can still hear the traffic, then perhaps that will solve all of your problems.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Also, I am not sure whether you can wear muffs And a bike helmet. Please make sure to wear a bike helmet. I know of one high school student (one of my mom's former students) who got brain damage after hitting his head after he fell off of a bike. He became a vegetable.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Taylorslay

Riding a bike these days in busy traffic is not easy and I congratulate you for doing that. Secondly, I don't advise wearing earmuffs as this could impair your hearing and you need this working at one hundred percent, whilst cycling on the roads. I think @Bill Bauer suggestion of wearing a head scarf under your helmet is a very good idea and shouldn't impair your hearing, and hopefully take care of the wind that you find bothersome. You could also try wearing noise reducing earplugs with the scarf but make sure they are of low attenuation. Perhaps reducing external sound levels by no more than 10db- you certainly don't want types that are over 18 decibels reduction for the reasons of safety on the roads.

Please make sure you are wearing "high visability" reflective clothing for cycling. As I driver I am quite surprised when I see people on bikes not wearing proper reflective clothing especially in the winter months when mornings and evenings can be dark.

Keep safe and I wish you well.
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I'm definitely looking into those. I looked at cat ears and windblox, I'll test them both out when I get payed but until then I will walk.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I can't find anything under 22 NRR rating

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I only need earplugs for about 1/2 - 2/5 of my ride due to the cars and busy intersections.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If that is the case @Taylorslay then I would not use any earplugs whilst cycling. The head scarf should be enough to stop the breeze/wind aggravating your ears. It is not worth compromising your safety out on the road using earplugs of that rating. Just my opinion.

I don't know how long it takes you to walk to work but if it's 45mins, you'll benefit from the exercise and it'll do you the world of good. Get a good pair of trainers and you're ready to go. I try to walk 1 hour a day and only drive when it's necessary.

Michael

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely, I walk my dog a lot. I'll look for some musicians earplugs. They tend to be 10-20NRR.

I found some stuff I can put on my helmet to reduce wind noise. I also got a bike light because I'll be riding when it's dark for early morning and evening commutes.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Just be careful and use good bike lights and wear reflective clothing.
      I wish you well.

Michael

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I definitely will. My helmet is really bright, there's reflecters on my bike and I'll be wearing light clothing when it's dark.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is good to know you are trying and that's all one can do...All power to you.

• Like Like x 1
    16. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I ride my bike with earmuffs.. once you get used to using your eyes more it's not really a problem. The advantage muffs have is that you can take them off for the quiet streets and then put them on for the loud ones very easily. The downside is you can't wear a helmet. You can wear ear plugs with a helmet but then you're stuck with the plugs for the whole ride.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I found these things called CAT EARS and Wind Blox. They reduce the wind sound by a lot. They look really good and I definetly am gonna be using them by. I am going to get reusable plugs for when I'm near the busy roads.

• Like Like x 2
    18. damnit!

damnit! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety/headphones/who knows
      How's it going thus far with your job, etc. ?