Bill Oddie Has Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by glynis, Aug 28, 2018.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Bill Oddie: Everytime I close my eyes, the band starts playing
      JUST imagine that you are about to nod off when suddenly a brass band starts playing somewhere in the distance. It may sound unlikely but that's exactly what comedian, broadcaster, musician and conservationist Bill Oddie has to put up with most nights.
      By LUCY BENYON
      08:30, Tue, Aug 28, 2018

bill-1009358.jpg
      Bill Oddie has suffered from hallucinations for more than a year (Image: GETTY)

"Often, as I close my eyes, a trumpet will start blasting," says Bill, 77, who lives with his wife Laura in Hampstead, north London.

But bizarrely the music isn't coming from a radio or from a group of nearby nocturnal performers - instead, the melodies are all in Bill's head.

Bill, who first found fame with 1970s comedy series The Goodies, has a very rare form of tinnitus called musical hallucination (MH). This is where instead of hearing the normal ringing or buzzing associated with the condition, sufferers hear music.

"The first time it happened was about a year ago," recalls Bill.

"I was working in my study at home when I suddenly heard a brass band playing somewhere in the distance - strangely though, the music was only in my right ear.

• Like Like x 2
    2. advocate21

advocate21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Bill Oddie has what I think is called musical tinnitus. I hope he will do more for tinnitus awareness than many other musicians have.

@glynis :thankyousign:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      This is very disturbing when it happens. It happens to me when listening to a fan or similar white noise!

• Hug Hug x 1