Birthday Party Claps Spiked My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Asian, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      2 days ago I went to my friend's birthday party. The sound of people clapping was piercing my ears literally but somehow I managed to save myself by stepping aside throughout the party and covering my ears a bit.The claps and singing went on for a good 20 minutes.I noticed that my tinnitus tone was changed the next morning and has been more noticeable since then. It's no more silent when I wake up in the morning. Any similar experiences? Will it go back to the baseline?

2. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      The sound of several people clapping does something to my T as well... I hear it as "distorted" actually.

Will it go back to baseline? probably...!! Try to de-focus your attention from it, it could just be that your brain is bringing it forward so it makes it more intrusive.

3. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I have same experience with clapping. Claps get distorted. Not much i can do about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Clapping also causes me to cringe, much like the clanking of pots and pans, which have same effect on me...very uncomfortable.

5. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Asian. Any Loud noise exposure will increase Tinnitus!. It really sucks because how much precautions we can take? I try to wear ear plugs when I am next to busy street. Infact I also wear plugs while driving.

6. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Spikes go away, I've learned. I've also learned that conversely when I have a few days of t being quieter those go away too. emoji18.png

• Like Like x 1
    7. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Claps or applause can be seriously loud. I've often recorded concerts with a small portable recorder and found out that the applause at the end is way, way louder than the music. Getting away and/or covering your ears are very sensible things to do.

My right ear sometimes adds the sound of a gush of air released from a valve ('GFFfffP') to some medium-loud transients.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I have a big party tomorrow and so nervous, hope my ears dont react badly. Guess I will have to use ear plugs.