Blood Pressure and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scooter, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Scooter

Scooter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1980
      I am an 80 year old male who has had mild tinnitus for more than 30 years. I've recently been taking my blood pressure several times a day to see if treatments are working and I think I've found a loose relationship between BP and t. I can practically predict my BP by the intensity of t. I've been using a beet root supplement to get my systolic down into the 120s and sometimes below 120 from a typical 150 a year ago. However my BP jumps much higher sometimes (particularly when I dine Chinese!) and I notice that my tinnitus is much louder as well. Now I don't know if something like MSG is affecting both BP and t or if the higher BP is causing the t to increase but I thought I would mention this and see if anyone else is experiencing it

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yup, my BP and T go together. It's like somebody hit the volume knob when the bottom number hits 93.

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Scooter

I have that same issue, too. I'm 68 years old, and am not on any blood pressure medication. I have recently started using beet root extract, too, and I believe it is helping. However, my blood pressure still rises sometimes in the late afternoon, and there is a definite correlation between my T getting worse and my blood pressure. (I should mention that I have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus, and the pulsating gets a lot worse when my blood pressure is higher).

Yes, I think MSG could definitely affect one's blood pressure, and probably one's tinnitus, as well.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who experiences this.

• Agree Agree x 1