Bose SoundControl Hearing Aids — Reviews from Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by lou1972, May 14, 2021.

1. lou1972

lou1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure if anyone knows about the Bose SoundControl, but they just showed up on my radar.

I had read that consumer hearing aids were becoming a thing this year and this looks promising for those like me with hearing loss induced tinnitus.

And they are only $850! Hopefully they can be purchased with a simple return policy!

Bose SoundControl Hearing Aids

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was excited about this, but then saw that they only cover 200 Hz to 8000 Hz. I would have thought that Bose would have tried to push the envelope and go beyond what standard hearing aids do (i.e. support higher frequencies). Sadly, it looks like they didn't.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lou1972

lou1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah I didn't see that. I wonder if they can be hacked. As more of these devices are built with software that works with our phones, I think that's not out of the realm of possibility!

Either way, I am excited that there will be cheaper hearing aid alternatives on the horizon that have cool built in software features that we find in things like AirPods etc.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I doubt it, since the frequency response is most likely driven by hardware limitations.

5. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Has anyone used or got any opinion on the OTC Bose SoundControl hearing aids? Would they be worth a shot for someone suffering from severe tinnitus and mild/moderate hearing loss?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      These are now available all over the US.

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Are there hearing aids that do cover higher frequencies @GregCA?

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I saw a post in this forum that mentioned a model going up to 10 kHz, although I couldn't really confirm that with my google-fu.

Since I posted the text above, I tried the Bose Hearing Aids first hand.

I returned them. My take-away is that they lacked the configurability that you'd need to do a proper amplification. In particular, there's only 2 knobs you can play with: one general volume and one bass<->treble slider. That's not sufficient to correctly map the information provided by a Pure Tone Audiometry test. And it showed in my test. I couldn't get them to match my Oticon hearing aid.