Both Ears Completely Blocked by Earwax — What's the Safest Earwax Removal Method?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert Logan, May 23, 2021.

1. Robert Logan

Robert Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma from playing live
      Hello everyone,

I've really enjoyed reading some of the wisdom and helpful insights on this forum. I take everyone's experiences seriously and can relate to many of the tinnitus phenomena reported. One area I know that has come up a number of times is microsuction. I believe what others have said about tinnitus permanently worsening when they did this procedure, just as much as I believe those who had no problems. But of course, nobody wants to risk permanently worsening an already wildly variable, sometimes reactive tinnitus sound!

But what do we do when we have no choice? My ears are both completely blocked, and there is like a 60% reduction going on. I have already had one ear infection, and have used olive oil and every other kind of drop (literally) for a long while to budge the wax. It has not changed in weeks. I've seen various doctors, and it seems the actual eardrum is completely covered. I tried ear irrigation (which is risky in itself and did slightly alter tinnitus) and the wax didn't come out for some reason - well, a bit did of one ear, but not enough to make any change. I'm only aware of ear irrigation (and related syringe techniques) and microsuction.

Of course - let's be hypothetical! - I would rather even suffer like 6 more months of crazy muffled hearing if the wax eventually came out than do one procedure and get worse tinnitus. (Though wouldn't want to risk further infections and having to go on antibiotics again!) But I don't think it will just fall out, will it? I don't know if any of you have been in this situation. I know there's no easy answers with a catch-22 like this, and the decision is mine, but would love to hear from people who have tinnitus and dealt with this, or even anyone with tinnitus who has some thoughts on it. Most people I know in person say "just go ahead with it!" but don't see the complexities involved where tinnitus is present. (With one or two exceptions.)

2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I’d definitely go for manual removal! I had microsuction and it’s my biggest regret which permanently worsened my tinnitus and also gave me hyperacusis too.

Best of luck, hope it goes well!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I'd agree with Vicki14, definitely no microsuction! I had it done in 2016, it caused tinnitus, hyperacusis, hearing loss and more. It is the biggest regret of my life having this procedure. Manual removal is safer.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammering with hammers
      Hydrogen peroxide will show the state of your wax buildup.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert Logan

Robert Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma from playing live
      Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm sorry to hear of what has happened to you both, and can already relate (to a lesser degree) as the irrigation done before I knew any better already shifted the tinnitus tone in a not-great way (though not crazily so.) I really do NOT want this tinnitus tone I have going on getting any worse.

I have used Hydrogen Peroxide (and Sodium Bicarbonate, and another pain relief ear spray) that causes the wax to really fizz. So it is down there. Of course I also used olive oil for weeks, which seems to have done nothing much and even caused more blockage and pain than not.

Sorry to keep asking questions - but what am I left with here? People who have looked down my ears say the eardrums are both completely covered. I don't think it is possible to do manual removal when it's the eardrum, is it? If it is I'm willing to pay anything to opt for that instead! Or is there any possibility that if I keep going with the drops even the wax near the eardrum will leave, too?

I ask here because doctors don't seem aware of these things when it comes to tinnitus.

6. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      @Michael Leigh knows about earwax removal. He is very informative.

Elmer