Brand New Tinnitus Sufferer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Heatherb123456, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Heatherb123456

Heatherb123456 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head cold
      Hello All,

My name is Heather and I just started getting Tinnitus from a head cold. The head cold lasted for weeks and then one day the ringing started. Mild at first and now had become screeching. My ears are still puffy feeling and my Eustachian tubes still feel full. I have had two rounds of antibiotics and prednisone pills and Flonase. The cold is basically gone but ears still sore and full feeling and the ringing is still here. I’m now at 4+ weeks of ringing. I’ve been to the Drs 2 times and an ENT. The Ent did a cat scan and it showed fluid in the sinuses that are by the tubes, thus the Augmenten again. I had mild low tone hearing loss in one ear but my ringing was so loud at the time of the test, I couldn’t tell between the beeps and ringing. I have been patient up until last night when I couldn’t sleep and ended up in a panic attack because it was so loud and none of the masking noises/music would help and it even was hurting my ears.

So, I have a couple of questions...

Is it still possible that this can go away when the tubes return to normal even at 4+ weeks? If not, can it at least lower in volume? Has anyone had success using notched music therapy?

Thanks for any hope/help you can give.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    3. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      Although you're here due to the terrible ailment we all suffer from I will say "Welcome aboard!".

Yes it's possible it will go away. The large factor is TIME. Just be aware it could take much longer for it to resolve or get better even after your cold symptoms resolve completely. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just being realistic. You could also be lucky and see instant resolution once your cold symptoms are all gone.

My T came on due to fluid build up in my ears. In my case I just took flonase for two weeks and the fluid went away. My T is still present but once the fluid cleared it was much better. Now I'm just dealing with it and practicing at not giving it my attention. Having a positive attitude about it; that it can't hurt you, it's just a noise, it's not dangerous; goes A LONG WAY.

I wouldn't worry about looking into notched music therapy and things like that until you see how it is after your cold symptoms are gone. You are in the infant stages of this so trying things like that, IMO, is like wanting surgery to fix your paper cut. You will likely have a bit of fluctuation in the "loudness" of it as you get better. Be aware you can and likely will have good days and bad days. Just roll with them and you'll be on your way! Make sure you check out the other sections like 'Success Stories'. They can be really uplifting.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Heatherb123456

Heatherb123456 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head cold
      Thanks for the quick reply. I am so hoping that when all the fullness and tube issues go, so will the T if not at least reduce in sound. So, 4 weeks is still in the possible time of complete healing? Thx

5. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      There are even people who have had T for years that eventually had either full resolution or greatly reduced noise level. So the length of time you've had T really doesn't matter much.

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.