Building Fire Alarms Are the Worst for Hyperacusis Sufferers!

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Vance, Dec 3, 2019.

1. David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy, imbalances with the body
      They are the absolute worst! The alarm goes off for forever, someone speaks way too loud over the PA system. Then the firetrucks blast on over louder than ever. It's a nightmare for someone who has hyperacusis. I guess the solution would be to move away, I wish that was an option right now.

So yeah, the alarm is going bezerk in my building right now!

Anyone else go through this terrible experience?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try to always have Peltor earmuffs nearby. It isn't enough protection, but it's something...

3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hyperacusis sufferers should always pack earplugs when leaving the house. Since there have been two building sites springing up on the route I walk to work, and I'm in a noisier office now, I pack a few foam earplugs as well as my usual silicon musician's earplugs. I may only use them for 10 minute at a time, two or three times in the day, but in those crucial moments you don't want to be exposing yourself to further pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      How severe would you rate your hyperacusis now? Do you have pain, or just loudness?

5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I rarely get pain now, unless I am exposed to a loud voice shouting in my ear or noise of 80 dBa over a couple of hours.

I can withstand normal conversations quite happily, boiling kettles, flushing toilets, all without earplugs. None of those were possible for me six months ago.

I still need hearing protection for working with pots and pans in the kitchen, but I'm ok now with regular washing up.

• Like Like x 3