Burning Ears Discomfort

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sash, May 2, 2020.

1. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus for two years now in my left ear which has got progressively louder throughout the years. It is bothersome that you always listening out for it. It is so loud.

Though the biggest concern is the hyperacusis. I noticed hyperacusis back in April last year nothing major but certain sounds like flushing of the toilet would feel very slight discomfort but that went away. Then in July was hit my alarm and immediately I can feel my ears weak. I didn't have any hyperacusis at this stage though gradually from September time when I attended a football match it got worse. I did travel in December but that didn't help matters as the plane was loud. In January the loud intercom just made it worse.

Last year the symptoms was everything seemed louder and bit of sensitivity. Now this year its been mainly, loud tinnitus, burning ears, and increased sensitivity. Occasionally my ears have started to hurt.

I know certain sounds make my ears burn. If talking on phone (on speaker) my ears will burn. When I go jogging and hear cars whizz past me that causes my ears to burn maybe few hours later. Music at around 60 decibels doesn't have an immediate impact but a delayed reaction. I am not affected by other sounds like cutlery, door slamming, toilet flashing.

In March has a slight cold and that caused tinnitus started in the right ear albeit it is very low

I could arrange a private ENT online but I don't think they will be able to help much. Not sure what I can do about burning ears.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You should go visit just one ENT to document the problem. Just so they are forced to acknowledge it's not all in your head.

• Like Like x 1
    3. East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Our symptoms sound identical. Do you also get a cold menthol feeling in your ears?? My ears have been feeling like they are bruised too lately. I also get burning and sometimes a shooting pain on my scalp above my ears. The delayed reaction is so weird too, I don't understand why this happens.

It's so annoying and frustrating.

4. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      The best you can do is stay in silence. I take some NAC + Magnesium but don't know if this has some positive effect. My ENT said he cannot do anything about pain hyperacusis and that I should protect myself from loud sounds. If you get some better advice please share.

5. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      I too have burning ear pain and sometimes a searing on the top of my head. My hearing gets muffled, gets clear, gets muffled...

This sucks big time!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Sorry for the late reply. Yes exactly, I get cold menthol feeling too. How bizarre. I noticed this only in the last few weeks. I don’t get the shooting pain. Today was a bad day with ears burning and left ear hurting then this evening that cold feeling returned in my ears.

7. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Same here, sometimes it also presents as a stiff neck, but I don't get the muffled hearing, just the discomfort. Started after a loud unexpected noise last Tuesday...

8. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Sevv

Have you had any improvement since last Tuesday?

9. Lola808
      Amazed

Lola808 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss wearing headphones to bed
      Do any of you have TTTS symptoms as well? Rhythmic thumping in ear caused by muscle contracting in ear?

10. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I'm not sure, certainly not worse at least. I am inclined to say yes, but it is not very much.

Feels weird that such a small exposure would lead to such long discomfort. Other people in the bus didn't seem very faced by the volume. At least my tinnitus and pain hyperacusis (threshold for sharp pain that comes immediately with loud noise) haven't changed.

I am speculating, but maybe it's more because of anxiety? Because I feel as if I can't trust society anymore because there's danger everywhere? I wonder if anxiety can lead to ear pain.