Calling All Who Experienced Getting Better Hyperacusis-Wise

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 2, 2017.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have had hyperacusis for about 5 months now and so far I see zero improvement... it ranges from somewhat mild, to moderate and sometimes bordering severe. I am scared that it will not get any better :(

When did you notice improvement in your hyperacusis and what did you do to treat your hyperacusis? Nothing? sound enrichment? other things?

I take Magnesium Citrate, vitamin b-12 and vitamin D and have taken them for about 3 months.

2. brandonlucky

brandonlucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I feel I'm in the same boat as you. I've have T and H for 5 months now. My H tends to cycle as you describe. I do sound enrichment but doesn't help much except to mask the T. My audiologist suggested I start wearing pink noise generators soon to desensitize my H. God I hope it works.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe I need these noise generators as well but the audiologist I get counselling with is not very helpful when it comes to this.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My H is also way worse in the morning, even after a full good nights sleep my ears are so sensitive when I wake up that I have to push my kitten away from me, because her purring hurts my ears :(

Makes me feel so bad about not being able to explain to my kitten why I have to push her away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It will help @brandonlucky as white noise generators are the best way to desensitise the auditory system. However, there are other very important factors. The WNGs will work they need to be backed up in most instances with counseling with your Audiologist. The counselling helps to remove and demistifies the negative thinking that is often associated with tinnitus and hyperacusis. It can take up to 2 years for hyperacusis to cure. As I've said, counselling in many instances is required with this form of treatment. Please read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, on my started threads for more information. My hyperacusis has been cured for 18 years.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hi Sandra: Sorry to hear about you getting hyperacusis. Really.

I first came down with it 22 years ago. I really do not remember well the progression of the H. at the initial stage (all I remember was that I was very distraught but that improved considerably after ). I do remember that my H. levelled off at one point after a few months , and that my H turned out to be not too severe, when I compare it with later. As to where you will level off , you can`t really tell at that stage unfortunately, I beleive. But my experience of 22 years is that my ears have always had a certain capacity to recover. ALWAYS, in my case at least. I think that that is true for most people with H. unless they re traumatise , which is unlikely unless they are very careless, which is rare.

I did nothing special to improve. I avoided very loud situations, stayed in silence a lot, took few risks etc.... Just common sense stuff. But it`s still a high wire act because you will inevitably make mistakes and pay the price. But, again, my ears always recover to some extent, usually to a great extent to a comfortable level. An example: I have trouble talking on the phone these days, never had that trouble before, while other day to day low sounds do not trouble me. I had to make some important calls yesterday, and I hurt myself. But I had to go to an important optometric appointment at a busy shopping centre today to see if I had any new retinal tears ( GOOD NEWS: NO!!) with my ears still messed up. But as I waited in the opto office , even with much worry, my ears started to get much better (!) after a day of trauma because of the phone. I expected that improvement based on recent experience but still I was really worried because of all the noise at the shopping centre. So conclusion: the ears have a certain capacity to recover. And I think it is true for most people with H..

Take care.We are rooting for you ,and know intimately what you are going through.

Marco

7. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I had a bad, bad, bad setback last July. The pain in the first month after was beyond horrible and 24/7 non-stop. I took time off from work and gulped sleeping pills. When I spoke, I spoke in whispers. I wore Peltor earmuffs on top of earplugs even inside my flat. I was very, very suicidal. Survival instinct was the only thing that kept me alive.

I still get lingering and burning pain now but milder, and for fewer sounds (mostly impact sounds like slamming doors, clanking cutlery, etc). I can now walk again on the road beside city traffic with only earplugs on. Avoidance of loud noises, ear protection, organic food, yoga, supplements, time, and Lyrica probably each contributed to my progress. I would love to go back to baseline before setback, but if I'm careful maybe I'll get there in a year. I would want to be able to fly again.

I think overall, H can get better but it takes time, and sadly, progress can be undone by a bad noise exposure. But still, it does get better, in my case at least. Now, here's me knocking on wood to avoid jinxing my improvement!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi Sandra, try to find a balance between listen to sound at normal volume and avoiding very loud sounds that would bother or may damage everyone. It is a hard thing to do depending on where you live and what you do for a living, but the path to improve your loudness discomfort levels involves listening to sound. Try to play music you like, white noise, TV, be around people, family, friends, and also you can combine music and white noise to mask the sounds your ears dont like etc The idea is to get your ears used to sound again. Theres not much more in terms of treatment and personally, to me, just listening to sound is not a treatment, but it should make you feel better. Best wishes!

9. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      After about 12 months my H was only noticeable with things like clanking dishes or other sudden "sharp" sounds. Everyday sounds like vacuums and microwaves are not a a problem anymore.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oddly enough vacuums and microvawes are not a problem and never have been for me. But some days even having a conversation with one person hurts my ears a bit. Weird.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Vacuums and microwaves emits a consistent "flat" noise while a conversation is very dynamic. It's quite common with H to be more sensitive to sounds with dynamic shifts in both volume and frequencies. For example, I can stand the water tap flowing but once I start splashing the water in the sink, I get pain.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      This is exactly what I find.
      Conversations are very tricky and after a while its game over.
      Flushing toilets and water falling into water is a nightmare.
      They simply make the hissing in my head get louder...its as if it shouts back at the sound.
      It definitely has something to do with both loudness and pitch for me.
      Deep bass and constant sound sure actually soothing.
      Weidest thing ever.
      Hope all you hisser and ringers are having at least having some peace today X

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

@Kelvin Try and get a referral to Audiology to see a Hearing Therapist for treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis. I'm talking about the wearing of white noise generators that can treat hyperacusis. This treatment can help, when regularly using sound enrichment isn't enough to desensitise the auditory system satisfactorily or its hypersensitivity, doesn't reduce naturally from normal everyday sounds from the environment which is what is needed. Unless hyperacusis is treated and in some cases professional help will be needed as described, it can become a long term problem. It may not be completely cured but with treatment hopefully reduced.

Michael

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I have tried Michael...hearing tests were fine, and there was little to no understanding of why a toilet flushing might be such a problem. Go away and get on with life and try and ignore it was the best I got. In fact, I detected some mild amusement from the GP.
      I may have another go but its humiliating and tiring to keep pestering.
      In the meantime I avoid complete quiet and play background nature sounds or talk radio all day long. I cant play any sound at night as my wife is a nurse ( no sympathy there...unless you have lost at least Six pints of blood and your kidneys are hanging out :confused: ) and shift worker and doesnt like it.
      I long ago gave up headphones, although was never a big user ( no way I could even attempt to use them ) and no longer attend music gigs which I used to do a couple of times a year.
      I guess life changes and I have had a good 52 years so far. I have to say though that H is damn annoying and would love to get to the state where my auditory system is less sensitive.
      Thanks as always for your advice.
      Your a great help to so many of us.
      Not all NHS trusts and GPs are the same...!
      I hope today is a good one for you !

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hear you Kelvin and fully understand the medical professionals attitude towards you once they see your hearing tests fine. They obviously don't know much a bout hyperacusis Please try them again and see if they are able to provide you with white noise generators. You could pursue the private route however, there is no guarantee of any success but I think you would benefit using them. I bought (2) white noise generators privately some years ago, as I didn't want to wear the type that are large and look like hearing aids out on the street. This company also supplies our NHS and there are various models. I bough the MM10 that are small and discrete and fit in the entrance to the ear canal and were very effective in treating my tinnitus and hyperacusis which is now completely cured: http://www.puretoneretail.net/tinnitus.html

Connect your sound machine to a pillow speaker and you wont disturb your wife. All Sound Oasis sound machines can be connected to a pillow speaker.

Your a great help to so many of us.
      Not all NHS trusts and GPs are the same...!
      I hope today is a good one for you !

I agree with you not all NHS trusts and GPs are the same. Thank you for your kind words they are much appreciated. Please don't give up, try for the white noise generators and if necessary buy privately and I can advise how to use them, or go to my "started threads" where my posts give information on how to use them. As I said there is no guarantee of the level of successful if any but I think it's worth a try.

All the best
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    16. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I think the only way to treat H is through TRT. I am giving myself 6-8 months before I embark on TRT.

17. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this will be my case as i don't think H can go away just with being exposed to everyday sounds. I think white noise generators might be needed. I am giving myself good 6-8 months before i go on this route.

18. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      My impression is completely different. I have much more problems with consistent noises which seem to resonate in my ears, short noises are no problem. If it is quite common that H is more sensitive to dynamic shifts, - then my problem is different to H... :cool:

19. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      The improvement... Wheneve I experience a loud noise, ironically. My hyperacusis are without a doubt there, but also mostly arises from my fear and anxiety.

It's always like that. My ears are exposed to a sound and then my mind is super sensitive and filled with fear which makes my hyperacusis ridiculously more sensitive. Then I hear a big noise again(subjectively big, I should say, which sounds worse because of my over hypersensitiveness) which feels quite traumatic and leaves me no room for my care and anxiety and then my my ears are numbed slightly and everything becomes really fine, hyperacusis abated and tinnitus suddenly gone. It's really foolish and shameful and also stressful.

From my constant experience, one really needs to do something with that sensitivity to sound. Hear a white noise or rain sound every day on a low volume, so low that you can't be able to feel that the sound is really there.

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      But you are talking about normal sounds that you perceived amplified, maybe things like doors closing (not slamming), an object falling to the ground etc

What about objectively loud noises, like power tools, motorbikes?

21. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      That's quite true.

I just block my ears whenever I had to pass by the power tools, motorbikes, ambulance, etc, so I really can't tell, I'm sorry. If background noises are sufficient, I think I can handle them but never tried. It all depends on my condition and what kind of noise it is to affect me. :confused: Loud music speakers in the comercial area gives me a long lasting tinnitus for sure if that's what you mean. But then my tinnitus is so small that it doesn't bother me much. I try to listen to sounds but shun them if I need to and never go to loud places at all.

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me that's not enough. Even with earplugs, earmuffs and my hands covering the earmuffs the sound seems to go through and hits me. A loud motorbike, or feedback from a big radio, is impossible to block. It is like the sound went through me, it's bone conduction I guess.

23. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      My own story was sound induced , I've been though the same as others:

Experienced tinnitus for a few years , then developed a sound sensitivity due to an loud ambulance driving past with blaring sirens.

It's been a tough year and a half since this begun for me, but I can honestly say it has gotten better for me.

Ive never experienced pain, but did hear distorted sounds across a certain high frequency, especially from car brakes, these were the worst! (still occasionally get them).

But through the avoiding of headphones , avoiding clubs and sound enrichment at night I'm at a good stage in my life.

I've had one or two set backs too, but they seem to be temporary for whatever reason.

With this in mind it is very much doable to improve and live a good life.

My two cents.

24. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      My hypercasusis fluctuates. I am young keep that in mind in my healings sake. It was also noise induced.

Mine though has been getting better. Besides the few moments it gets worse for a week to 3 weeks. It has been getting better.

I mainly use sound enrichment all day everyday. My favorite sound enrichment is the sound of a creek or stream. It focuses on more of the 3-10k hz.

I got rid of the bass on my computer since it spiked my H. I went into my computer's equalizer and set all the freq lower than 500 to as low as I could put them. I wouldn't do this right now if I were you since I'm experimenting with it as of now. When I'm listening to music I change it. When I'm sleeping at night I return everything back to normal on the equalizer.

Avoid headphones. Go out more. I suggest no where with cars. Maybe a nature walk? I always love those. Try to do that everyday or take a walk at night in a neighborhood. (Probably no time too late but some time around 6-8pm at the latest. Or early morning)

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went out for a walk last night at 7pm and there were like five-six cars on the residential street, t spiked a little lol

26. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Ya I'd suggest being away from cars. I live near an international airport I have to go out at certain times because of the planes.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no problem with traffic noise. It does not hurt my ears at all.

My H also varies from day to day. Overall it has not gotten better in the 6 months I have had it I would say.

28. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have been making steady improvement @Taylorslay Unless you are feeling pain due to noise, there's is really no need to go out certain times because of the planes, unless you did this before the onset of tinnitus? Be careful not to let anxiety and negative thinking about sound levels control your life as it can interfere with your progress.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1