Tinnitus (from Loud Music/Sinus Infection/TMJ) Getting Better — Now Developing Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Soon, May 20, 2024.

1. Soon

Soon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely Loud Noise + Ear Infection
      Hey everyone, I've been lurking around here for a year and a bit since I got extremely loud, unmaskable tinnitus in March of last year. The cause could've been a million things, but it's likely to be an ear/sinus infection, listening to loud music, and possibly TMJ. It has been a battle for sure, but I've been getting along fine, all things considered. It's definitely still the worst thing that has happened to me, but life goes on. My tinnitus changes day to day; some days are more intrusive than others, which is nice but also difficult. Despite everything, my tinnitus (though extremely slowly) has been getting better. I have more good days where the tones are less intrusive and quieter, and I can tolerate the ear-piercing days with a little more ease.

But here is where it gets weird for me: as the tinnitus has been getting better, I've noticed that I'm more sensitive to certain noises, and nothing really out of the ordinary changed in my day-to-day routine. I just don't get it. All the stories I've read are about people getting hyperacusis after their tinnitus worsens, not when they are on the mend.

I'm just throwing this out there if anybody has had something similar happen or has any explanation. Also, feel free to ask questions.

P.S. Everyone on Tinnitus Talk is unbelievably strong.

2. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      The world of tinnitus is unpredictable, with many ups and downs and false hopes. Don't be too hard on yourself trying to understand it. Stay positive and healthy, maintain a low salt intake, spend time outdoors, and cherish life during good and bad days. Remember, spikes in tinnitus will almost always decrease. Don't panic. Remind yourself that it will improve. Don't hesitate to try medication to help cope with any spike, as the effects of medication will always diminish.

• Agree Agree x 2