Can a Ball of Fuzz Going Into Ear Worsen Tinnitus or Cause Ear Problems?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiel, Mar 18, 2020.

1. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Through a freak accident I think I got a small ball of fuzz in my ear! I was cleaning a dusty floor, and tripped on a rug. Didn't get hurt thankfully, but I think a (very, very small) bit of fuzz went in my ear. I kind of felt it go in, was a little itchy. Can't seem to get it out. It's still in there.

So uh, how harmful could that be for my ear?

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      No one? If you got a piece of dust or fuzz in your ear, could it be harmful?

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it could be harmful if the foreign body in your ear canal causes infection or inflammation. Don't try to get it out yourself, if you do it improperly, you can hurt your skin or the eardrum. If it hurts, gets inflamed or you get a fever, try to see a doctor. Don't know how difficult it is given the pandemic emergency. But I think that dustmites go into our ear canal often without us even realize it, so I think, I would go to the doctor, if I had problems.

4. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      It would be ideal to remove it possibly, to avoid infections and the likes. Can you get access to a ENT doctor who can manually remove it? S/he should be able to remove it manually with a curette (but you need a skilled operator there) or you could risk microsuction if done very lightly and carefully, but it's a risk due to the noise. However to remove something that is not impacted wax hopefully they can run the suction at low power and avoid most noise? Depending on the quality of ER rooms where you are, you could also go to the ER room and say that it is annoying you, they would probably find a way to pull it out.
      EDIT if it is just a tiny, tiny amount then wax could build around it and then it could be pulled out when you have the next ear wax removal, but it could be a little risky to leave it there

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Alright, thanks both of you.