Can a Plane Ride Be a Problem?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AlexG, Dec 10, 2017.

1. AlexG
      Alienated

AlexG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Since the 90's, bad spike in 10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I've been going on airplanes back and forth from Pennsylvania and Florida since I was a toddler. I do get the ear fullness sensation multiple times on the plane but I usually pop my own ears right away by sort of forcing myself to yawn a little. Don't know if this is something people can usually do, I've never asked anyone.

Anyway, I first noticed tinnitus when I was maybe 5 and have no idea what could have caused it. I had a grueling spike about 5 weeks ago that fortunately died down a lot recently, but ever since that I've been unfortunately obsessing much more over the T. So, my grandparents moved to Florida recently and I've been making an effort to travel there every so often to see them.

Now ever since the big spike I'm afraid that a plane ride could somehow make the T even worse. I've never noticed a change in it after all the other times I've been on a plane, although I noticed the last time I went for a flight I had a brief yet very intense headache in my right forehead.

Edit: The forehead pain happened upon landing, not take-off or during flight.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated my friends.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes this is perfectly normal and expected. You're just equalizing the pressures on each side of the ear drum when you swallow. Same as when you drive up and down a mountain road.