Can a Sauna or Steam Room Lower Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 3, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      There has been some times where I have got out of the shower and my tinnitus seems lower.

This doesn't happen all the time though so I am not sure what causes it. I have seen other people on here say similar statements or that hot baths and hot showers lower their tinnitus on a regular basis.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to go to a sauna or steam room.

Has anyone had any experiences with this?

I found a video where a guy goes over various hormonal and body changes that happen when a body is exposed to a sauna (dry heat) or a steam room (humid) and was thinking that one or some of those changes could be the reasons why it lowers tinnitus in some people.

Boost Metabolism: Steamroom vs. Sauna - Which...

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      My tinnitus is higher after a shower. Way I see it, unless you have mild tinnitus, if it's loud enough to silence your T, it's loud enough to spike you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Mine got really low after the sauna yesterday. I was in there for about 20 minutes and literally went quiet. It's back up today but still!

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      @Ricardo1991
      Have you had any more success with saunas? How long did your tinnitus settle down for after sauna?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is a sauna loud?

I am wondering if the heat and steam might help some people - if the temperature of the water and the effect on the body might help?

The shower might not help and result in a spike depending on the noise and sound of the water flow? Is there any difference if you use one of those adjustable flow nozzles? If changing the pressure lowers the volume, can you avoid a spike?

Edit: just speculation but if there is any noise with a sauna, I wonder if it's not bad meaning it's not near your ears and not loud compared to:

Noise from the showerhead: if it's not adjustable, it might be loud or enough to contribute to a spike - as it's right above our ears.

Does anyone here have no problem with the shower? What's your setup?

6. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Hey, sorry for the late reply. Yes, the sauna is a great place for me as my tinnitus usually seems to calm down. However, that could also be a function of me also relaxing so there's that.
      Usually the lowered tinnitus lasts for about ten minutes after I've come out of the sauna. Sometimes (and I don't know why) but if I have bad tinnitus, a shower will clear it up only if I take it in the mornings. Which is strange but it just happens!

7. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      @Ricardo1991 thank you for the info. I’ve been told a cold shower is good after the sauna. Have you tried that?