Can Cold/Flu Make Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Aug 12, 2014.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi all,
      I've been sick with flu (first one since onset of t) since last week and even though I don't feel congested at all my t is worse and not letting go.

I'm very scared because my t started after a bad flu 3 years ago.

Do you think this is now a permanent t change for worse?

Has anyone had any experiences to share?

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Whenever I have a flu or even a slightly soar throat/running nose I get this weird low humming in my ears that has left once my health gets better. It could be that the effect is temporary.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Stina
      Unfortunately low frequency has been with me since day one, that's my bloody tinnitus.

It's bad as is on low but when low goes worse it's still low frequency but much much worse somehow!

4. Rachel Murray
      Amazed

Rachel Murray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @valeri Keep calm and rest a lot - for now, that's all you can do. Flu must make it worse, as all your head is blocked. Have hope.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Rachel Murray

Rachel I don't feel congested at all, no runny nose, nothing....
      After 3 days of high temp I just feel drained and tired, bit dizzy as well but nothing else that could explain this worsening of t.

Unless it's from taking paracetamol for 3 days for temp????

6. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Yep, my Tinnitus usually gets worse for a while when I have a cold or a flu. It goes back to its normal volume quick enough though when I get better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Mine gets worse too. Even if I don't get the symptoms fully coming out I know when I'm not well as my tinnitus always spikes a little.

It doesn't need me to be blocked up either, it's like the tinnitus is a barometer for my health sometimes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @valeri I've had T for a long time and I've had numerous colds. There is only one time that I noticed that my T was louder and it went back to normal after it resolved. The other times, my T remained the same even with the cold (and I've had very intense colds that lasted 3-4 weeks!!!).

Be careful about the meds you take!!! I had a cloggued ear back in April and took meds that worsened my T!!

9. Rachel Murray
      Amazed

Rachel Murray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @valeri I think the fact that you are sick even if you don't feel congested is enough to make you feel the T stronger - try not to worry too much, I hope you start feeling better really soon. Big hug.
      P.S. - I take sometimes paracetamol for headaches and have never noticed any effect in my sounds.

10. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      My T actually virtually disappeared for a month after getting severe flu. I was almost going to write a success story, but it's back now, oh yes.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I am currently having a nasty flu attack and bad cough. My T is roaring in my left ear. My hearing is distorted as well. Going to my GP now. Wish me luck guys. All this is so depressing :(

12. Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      Yes, with a cold mine always gets worse, not had flu yet to test that. But with a cold my low frequency tinnitus gets worse and then I get the crickets whooshing noise and can't sleep or anything, my whole head feels like it will explode. It is simply because your ears get blocked and you hear everything inside your ears so much more than the outside world. My T usually gets worse 3 days before symptoms of the cold hit, and 2 weeks after the cold has gone.

13. Andrew B

Andrew B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Mine has worse due to a chest infection, I hope it goes back to normal

14. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I have a cold/flu at the moment, probably also the reason why my voice sounded louder the past days.
      Any advise on meds? Should I take or leave paracetamol, could it help? I just wanna do what is best for my ears, don't care about headaches.

15. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Get a flu swab at the doctor if you truly think you have the flu. Antiviral meds within the first few days can lessen the symptoms and help you recover quickly. Plus antivirals are sometimes prescribed for sudden hearing loss when a virus is suspected, so they should be safe to take with tinnitus.