Can Computers Spike Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Mar 19, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I read some posts from 2013 - 2017 or thereabouts but haven't made a conclusion. I am hoping some 'experts' on this can comment.
      Is my life ruined not just from tinnitus but also because the computer(s) I use may spike my tinnitus?

I am probably not going back to a factory job so I thought if I don't off myself from tinnitus, in general, and by some miracle, I got better/improved/habituated (I hate that word), then I would look at 'quiet' jobs - I was hoping it would be safe to use a computer - maybe data entry in a quiet office or at home?

But, there is talk about high frequency/RF/EMF etc. causing tinnitus to spike or increase to tinnitus.

Is there any computer/system I can build that would minimize or eliminate the chances of this?

Some people have external monitors and computers in another room - using Wi-Fi keyboards and mice - or is Wi-Fi a problem?

What about Bluetooth versions of keyboard/mice combos?

What about video cards?

Do the fans of those cause problems?

Or would it be better to have an integrated graphics / CPU combo?

The ITX form factor would usually only have only two fan connectors, one for the chassis and one for the CPU heatsink - I was thinking of this for least amount of noise but now I am wondering if the frequency from these electronics would contribute to tinnitus spikes or increases. I am really hoping it's an overstate factor or something because, honestly, it would be crushing to an already fragile state of mine. But, I want to know (the truth) because I don't want it to get worse.

If it's not safe or causes/provokes/increases t, then I have to look at what else I can do. I can't imagine that this is yet another limitation / restriction (on me/use) which already includes not going out/not visiting places in case they're loud and mostly living like a hermit and vegetating. :-(

I don't know what jobs a tinnitus sufferer can do but the only one I could think of involved computers. :-(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Who said computer fans (which are usually less than 50 dB) can cause or worsen tinnitus?

Also, there are no ‘experts’ on here.

From reading many of your posts I can see that you seem to have an issue with anxiety. I would suggest going to see someone about this to get it under control.

You know what can and does effect tinnitus directly? Stress! You need to try and get your stress under control because it will and can make your tinnitus perception worse. Once you get it under control it will get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Well, I read some previous threads on this topic and many went into detailed discussions on frequency emissions, RF, EMF etc.

I'm trying to deal with my anxiety.

4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no knowledge of these computer issues and tinnitus. I know many people here who use computers and don’t have any issue.

Someone else might know more than me on this topic. Overall I don’t think it is much of an issue because I don’t really hear people talk about it ever.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I sure hope not. If I ever work again, I would like the option of a quiet office.
      But, for now, computers was my hobby and I was building a new one before my t happened. I explained my concern in the original post.

6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t think you should be concerned with computer fans.

Working at a quiet desk job in an office with computers is perfectly safe for people with tinnitus.

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have written posts on computers and tinnitus and the way they can make tinnitus worse for some people. I place my computer tower in another room and use and external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I have now found out the reason a computer can make tinnitus worse for some people. It is not EMF (electro magnetic field0 that all computers emit. It is the noise from the internal hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm. I was unable to use a laptop for this reason as my tinnitus would increase quite a lot. I now use a laptop that has "solid-state" hard drive so there is no noise heard from the PC and my tinnitus is not affected. The noise from an internal fan in a conventional PC could also be an issue too, something that a PC with a solid state hard drive does not have.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/computers-and-tinnitus.12059/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/computers-tinnitus-part-2.12483/

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      Hi,

When I use the computer for 5+ minutes my tinnitus starts to increase and I have to take very frequent breaks.

How do you all cope with this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please follow my suggestions in the post above. I have to place my computer tower in another room. You could buy a computer with a solid state hard drive. This does not use conventional hard drive or a fan which both emit noise.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you sure it's not a result of the posture you have at your computer, or some extremely high pitched noise your computer is making?

There is some blurry connection between EMFs and nonthermal metabolic effects in humans. There are also a lot of people online who think they have a condition called "electrosensitivity", with tinnitus as a symptom. However, this has actually been studied in a lab in a bunch of studies, and in no case were these people able to differentiate from real EMF exposure and sham EMF exposure... meaning, it's a psychological issue and not a physical one, in those specific cases.

Beyond that -- when you walk around the world you're absolutely bathing in EMFs. What you get exposed to from a computer pales in comparison to holding a phone, or even walking by a power pylon. (At one point I spent a good deal of time walking around an urban area with fairly sophisticated EM detection gear).

So, I would:
      * check your posture
      * check for audio (this might require using a good mic to make a recording and then running it through a spectrum analyzer)
      * try a different computer / etc
      * ignore people who tell you there's some proven connection between EM fields and tinnitus, because they are not playing with a full deck.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is this recent? I like the other two posts. Try their advice.

Without knowing what your computer sounds like, it could be noisy fans? Some AIO computers can be quite noisy. Building your own allows you to choose quieter fans and control the speeds (e.g. Noctua brand). I agree with using a SSD or NVMe PCIe SSD. If your computer is new, you have that option but if it's older, you can still use a typical SATA SSD. I agree with eliminating fans where possible and using quieter fans. You can also try a sound meter even if using a phone app to get a general idea of how much noise the computer emits.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      Thanks.
      I am pretty sure it's my posture. I use a computer which is completely silent (solid state drive and no fans).
      I think it is connected to muscle tension in my neck and the consequent pressure. I have quite strong hyperacusis (I am doing sound therapy now) and somehow this also causes a sensitivity to muscle tension.
      For the sound therapy I am using speakers, placed on the desk, next to the computer. I am currently beginning to transition to using headphones to gain a greater degree of freedom of movement... and then I will rearrange the computer and the desk.

I have also found that exercise increases my ability to endure this type of stress, and I plan on increasing it.

I frequently use spectrum analyzers. I can see frequencies up to 20 kHz on my phone, I think it has a good mic. It shows the computer as completely mute. The loudest thing around here is my sound therapy. :)

The phenomenon is not recent.

Thanks again.

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      • Helpful Helpful x 1