Can Dental Polishing After Manual Cleaning Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by InNeedOfHelp, Apr 20, 2022.

1. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      I'm aware of avoiding the ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm in need of a polish which is usually done after manual cleaning the teeth. What is the consensus here? Let the teeth become yellow or can we polish them?

My tinnitus spread from being unilateral to bilateral after my last dentist visit so I'm kind of undecided.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi @InNeedOfHelp, I recently had a dental polishing and was initially concerned, but it was very, very quiet. So, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 2
    3. Lchops

Lchops Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      Did you go for your cleaning? How did it go? I keep pushing my dental cleaning appointment because I’m petrified of making things worse.

4. fliesatnight

fliesatnight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      as long as I can remember, worsened 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sound exposure
      Since polishing isn't supposed to do much of anything to prevent cavities, I asked my dental hygienist if we could just skip it but she suggested she could use a toothbrush instead of the dental polisher. So every time I go to the dentist she applies the polish to a toothbrush and brushes my teeth with it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      Cleaning is fine without ultrasonic tools. The polishing is fine too, it's a couple of seconds. During the cleaning you hear a lot of scraping if you haven't gone to a dentist in a long time. You should to that without earplugs. If there is a lot of tartar buildup, split the cleaning over two sessions. They are used to that. I spike easily but dental cleaning is now the least of my concerns.