Can Ear Fullness and Other Problems Be Psychological?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David G, Dec 8, 2017.

1. David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

Could all this fullness or in the ear be all in my head, linked to stress?

Right now it's not as bad as it was 9 months ago as my right ear feels almost clear but when my left ear pops/crackles could that be a mild form of hyperacusis?

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      No, its a commonly reported physiological symptom that remains woefully under-researched and unexplained. Its in your head, but not "all in your head".

Pops and crackles are not of themselves hyperacusis. If you hear sounds differently to what you knew, either with volume or frequency distortions (or both together) then that is how hyperacusis is currently defined where I live.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hi:

All I can contribute is to say that in the 22 years of my experience with hyperacusis, nothing else, the origin of it is not psychological, at least in my case. It is physical: noise trauma. But day to day stresses can exacerbate the basic discomforts, but not much. Again, I speak only for myself.

Your ear crackling does not sound like H. Do you sense sounds as bothersome? If so, you probably have H. If you are not sure, do not talke any chances by going in any really loud situations until you you know FOR SURE!

Today, for example, I am having a very stressful day, and my increased H and T are due to phone use, that is clear. There might just be a bit due to worry.

Take care.We are rooting for you.

Marco

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

My ears just feel clogged (Mostly on the left) and it pops when there's certain noises, like turning the key when locking doors, dropping cutlery, opening/closing DVD cases. Even when I touch/scratch my face or ears.
      It doesn't hurt or seem louder, just this annoying discomfort

I notice the clogging gets worse at night, do you think certain foods can aggravate this? I'd used nasal spray for over a week but it caused a side effect with a swollen tounge, but chewing gum slightly relives this.

The right side of my jaw had been clicking occasionally for over the 9 months but I haven't had that for almost a week now, so I'm hoping that's gone.

5. John G

John G Member

@David G jaw clicking may be from TMJ.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

You think stress can cause TMJ?

7. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Dear David:

Again, I am not familiar with your symptoms. I would just repeat that you avoid all loud situations until you are ABSOLUTELY certain you do NOT have hyperacusis. Otherwise, you may enter an even greater world of Pain.

As far as foods, I have never found any food to affect my own situation. Alcohol neither, unless you really get wasted, even then. But that, again, is my experience. Others may react otherwise.

As far as the clicking, if it is the same as I have had for two periods, mine eventually went away both times and I do not know why it started.It only happenned when I walked, not chewing or any other activity. It was pretty annoying.

Good luck. I will be checking back, as I do with any thread I am involved in.

Marco