Can Earbuds at Low Volume Still Damage Hearing Because of the Close Proximity to Eardrum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by -serotonin-, Dec 21, 2018.

1. -serotonin-
      Frantic

-serotonin- Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2018 (probably?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.
      I always listen to music only 1-3 little squares on my phone, so volume isn't really my main question about the safety of earbuds with regards to tinnitus and hearing damage, it's more the closeness of the earbuds to your eardrum.

I've always used Skullcandy earbuds with the little squishy bits on the ends, so they go deeper into your ear canal than the round ones without the squishy bits.

They block out more outside noise just from their physical structure, so I don't even have to put it a lot louder to hear my music on something like an airplane, but could it still damage hearing from the closeness?

2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      My take — Closeness doesn't matter. It is the sound intensity/volume that matters. Naturally, the closer the source is to your eardrum, the lower the volume needed to cause a problem, so you should be extra careful with earbuds (or headphones or any sort, really) — especially if you have any past hearing damage. But, if the sound from your earbuds is not louder than normal everyday sounds, then you are fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I have had T for over a year, and in my opinion, I wouldn’t use ear buds. For me, even using the lowest volume on my cell phone hasn’t been low enough without aggravating my ears on occasion. Everyone has different tolerances for sound, but I wouldn’t do it...

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @-serotonin-

You risk making your tinnitus permanently worse by using any type of headphones or earbuds even at low volume and especially if the tinnitus was caused by "Noise trauma".

Headphones and Tinnitus.

The views on whether a person with tinnitus should listen to music through headphones are controversial. Some people show no adverse affects while others do even when the volume level is kept low.
      We are all different so the only way a one can know is to experiment for themselves if they want to. In my opinion, when the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise/music and it has become intrusive - by this I mean a person having to seek help at ENT, then they shouldn’t listen to music through headphones no matter how low the volume is set.

Most music has syncopation throughout its frequency range, so it’s constantly changing in pitch, rhythm and timbre. The beat of the music and volume can also change while listening. This evokes pleasure and can stir our emotions. This happens whether we listen to music loud or soft, although certain types of music does sound better played at a higher volume than others, and vice versa.

Once the Cochlea in the inner ear becomes affected by noise exposure, it is much more sensitive to sound. This is one of the reasons hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is often experienced with noise-induced tinnitus. The wearing of WNGs (white noise generators) as part of TRT treatment can often cure the condition or reduce its symptoms. Someone that already has a sensitive auditory system due to noise-induced tinnitus and listens to music through headphones at a low volume, risks irritating the Cochlea further, which can make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

It can be misleading when some health care professionals tell tinnitus patients, listening to music through headphones is fine as long as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well and know a lot about the anatomy of the ear and therefore, it is not my intention to try and undermine their abilities or expertise. However, It must be said, that many of them have never experienced intrusive tinnitus and therefore don’t know much about. I have spoken to people and corresponded with them by email and at Internet forums, complaining their tinnitus has become worse after listening to music through headphones even though the volume was kept low. My advice to anyone that has tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise is not to listen to music through headphones, as the auditory system is more sensitive.

White noise generators.
      Some may question the use white noise generators and in-ear types that emit white noise directly into the ear. White noise generators don’t usually irritate the auditory system due to the volume being kept low and its frequency range remains constant, so there is no syncopation within it unlike music.

I believe someone that has noise induced tinnitus and uses earbuds to listen to music, is putting themselves at even greater risk of making the tinnitus worse. Earbuds are inserted into the ear canal which is around 1 inch in length, therefore they are very close to the eardrum.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      If the sound does not exceed 60-65 db than it's unlikely to cause further damage. I think you should at least try to measure the loudness of your "1-3 little squares on your phone" by putting the earbud directly to a sound meter or at least a smartphone with a db measurement app.

However if you suspect your tinnitus might be noise induced I suggest you to stop using headphones and earbuds altogether. Damaged ears are prone to more damage.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25972177
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=16481444
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=19906956

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In my personal experience, it does. If sound X is louder (by the time it reaches my ear) than sound Y, and sound Y is made close to my ear, whereas sound X is made far from my ear, I will get a spike as a result of sound Y and not as a result of sound X.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Will there ever be an invention where we can listen to sound safely without damaging our hearing further? i really miss using head phones when i game...=[

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Michael if you check the links I've listed they clearly state that damaged ears get damaged at accelerated rate. There's no question about it.
      However if you check @-serotonin- profile she says that she lives a quiet life.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @coffee_girl

It is good that you have habituated and I hope it stays this way for you. Please try and forget about using headphones for they are dangerous, period!

I have been an Audiophile for many years and used to listen to my music through HI-End headphones which eventually gave me tinnitus and hyperacusis so severe you wouldn't believe. That was 22 years ago. I haven't used headphones since and don't miss them. I listen to my music through my HI-FI and enjoy it just the same.

Just think how far you've come and how severe your tinnitus once was. I have listened to people crying in distress on the telephone in regret having returned to using headphones.

Take care
      Michael

10. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No offense taken, Michael. I think we had a misunderstanding.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Speakers + moderate sound volume?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I seem to have jumped the gun @Arseny so please accept my apologies. I am vigorously opposed to anyone that has "Nosie induced tinnitus" to use headphones, I completely missed where you advised @-serotonin- on the use of earbuds and headphones.

Michael

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      What is HI-fi and do you think bone conduction through the shoulders (instead of on the temple) would be better?

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @coffee_girl
      HI-FI is an abbreviation word meaning High-Fidelity Audio. My stereo system/HI-FI is of high-quality sound reproduction, consisting of: Floor standing Speakers, Amplifier, CD player and Turntable/Record Player.

I don't advise you to use bone conduction headphones as these transfer sound through the "bone" namely the mastoid bone behind the ear into the inner ear reaching the cochlea. This will cause as much harm or worse then ordinary headphones. I know someone in this forum that used "bone conduction" headphones and it spiked his tinnitus, which increased and wouldn't reduce to it's previous level.

Buy yourself a good quality audio system and you'll realize how much better the sound is than headphones. If you want a small High-Quality audio system listen to the Bose Wave-CD music system. Check-out the Bose website. I have used this for quite a few years. It is very high quality audio reproduction.

I do not recommend that you use any type of headphones as you risk making your tinnitus worse.
      Michael

15. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you keep the volume reasonable (as perceived by your ears, not based on the user interface).

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What's stopping you?

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My guess - multiple reports from the people who swear that listening to headphones at moderate volume caused a new tone or caused their T to permanently spike.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I have tinnitus from a misaligned neck/jaw. Can headphones make my tinnitus worse long term??

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      So true Bill. The amount of people that have contacted me over the years, saying headphones made their tinnitus worse, is staggering. Headphones are a danger to anyone that has tinnitus, especially when it is "noise induced"

Michael

• Informative Informative x 2
    20. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      This is purely a subjective opinion on my part but it's the type of headphones you use that makes the most difference. Headphones that restrict airflow like the large old-school ones really fatigue the ears. Cheapie walkman style headphones with a foam base are much easier on the ears. I don't know how earbuds compare as you stick them in your ears like earplugs, but designs vary.

I don't think it's realistic for T sufferers never to use headphones considering that they are where most of us receive a lot of our "natural" masking source, i.e. music. I would not be able to function in a very quiet office environment without streaming music through headphones. But I have hyperacusis so that puts a natural limit on how much I crank it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      You might want to ask @Michael Leigh....i have no idea =[

• Funny Funny x 1
    22. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      In the beginning I used to shower with the loud fan on and a couple of times my tinnitus would go up for the day. Don't think it's long term though. It's not like I damaged my ears.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      -serotonin-
      Frantic

-serotonin- Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2018 (probably?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.
      If it wasn't caused by sound and you aren't wearing massive, heavy headphones that might strain your neck, I don't see why not if you keep the volume reasonable.

24. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This will make a good research topic, either a myth or fact. It seems like a myth but I would rather be safe than sorry.

25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      One shouldn't rely on research because each person is different. It is true that some people with "noise induced" tinnitus, use headphones at low volume without any problems. However, many people with NIT are affected by headphone use. The tinnitus only needs to spike once using headphones and it's game over.

Michael

26. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Music therapy via the Bose headset was one factor that saved my life. It is wrong to assert that if one chooses to use any type of head set it will cause ear damage.

I do agree that the use of ear buds within the ear are not safe.

27. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      YES

• Agree Agree x 1