Can Eardrops Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AlexG, Nov 17, 2017.

1. AlexG
      Alienated

AlexG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Since the 90's, bad spike in 10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I just wanted to talk about this possibility. I've had tinnitus since I was little. I guess I was born with it. It's been annoying but I've managed more or less. But ever since 4 weeks ago I've had like a second tinnitus, along with what I assume is hyperacusis and the original T getting worse at times.

Four weeks ago I went to an ENT for a possible infection in my ear canal. My canals have been red for a long time but I've never had any other symptoms until last month when it felt like I had a foreign object in my ear. I was prescribed ear drops that had an acetic acid solution and another one called Fluocinolone Acetonide 0.01% solution (Taro pharmaceuticals). A week after using these I started having the 2nd T and sensitvity, whereas I've never had them for the last 26 years.

So my question is, is it at all possible that the medicine could have caused this? 3 ENTs I've talked to said the medicine would have no effect, but I've read about how there's ear medicaton that is apparently ototoxic. The Fluocinolone says it can be absorbed into the skin, so is it possible for it to have been absorbed directly into the blood near my ear? Any opinions at all would be helpful, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I doubt it's the drops. If you have an ear infection, then chances are that the negative impact your are seeing is from the infection itself, not the drops.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlexG
      Alienated

AlexG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah I guess so. Though I forgot to mention something. The tinnitus has been all over the place the past 4 weeks, sounding different or going to my right ear. It is most of the time concentrated in my left ear. When I used the fluocinolone drops, I trapped the liquid into my left ear like it was water and left it there for a few minutes. For the right ear I just put some drops into my ear canal without keeping it in. I know I sound like a broken record but is this just a coincidence or was there a connection? I wish I could tell for myself.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suspect it's just a coincidence. I'd be more worried if you had a perforated ear drum, because the drops could now reach the middle ear and cochlea.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlexG
      Alienated

AlexG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You're most likely right. Thank you for the help.