Can EMDR Therapy Help Tinnitus? My Tinnitus Started After a Horrible Cold

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mcgsmith2000, Jan 5, 2022.

1. mcgsmith2000
      Furious

mcgsmith2000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dear Tinnitus Talk,

Thank you so much for accepting my request.

I frankly don't know whether I am overjoyed that I have found so many others that are suffering from tinnitus as I do, or be discouraged as it appears that there are no available and realistic treatments available at the moment.

I am a 52-year-old white male (not that it matters other than for research purposes). I have lived a normal life, exposed to a moderate amount of loud noises like any other normal person with machines, concerts and hobbies.

Last summer I took both the first and second Pfizer COVID-19 immunizations, the 2nd dose was perhaps in May of 2021. Coincidentally I came down with a horrible cold, no COVID-19 symptoms at all so never checked. It was just a bad summer cold my children brought in and we passed back and forth for about a month.

Soon after I started developing mild tinnitus We had an enormous amount of stress in our lives and by September it was unbearable. Living in the USA I sought what any normal person would, an ENT. Same story. Wait 4 weeks for an appointment, they check out your insurance to see how much they can milk you for, by the time the doctor has read the results of your hearing test their mind is already made up and tell you "there is no cure for tinnitus, you will just get used to it, you can see my assistant that will help you with a pair of $7K hearing aids, have a nice day."

I went to over 14 different ENTs and all said the same with the exception 50% said I had borderline hearing loss and the other 50% said I had mild hearing loss in the low frequencies. I learned that tinnitus is not always a ear condition and more neurological. I had the MRI, nothing was wrong.

I kept up my google research as I simply cannot digest hundreds of volumes of medical journals and thought I found hope in the Lenire treatment in the UK, or in Stem Cell therapy to regrow the hair cells in the inner ear to regenerate hearing loss. Sadly after joining this forum I see both options are clearly not viable. My deep gratitude to the contributors.

I see so many post on this group that I could have authored. Tinnitus has changed my entire life. I can not work, I can not hold onto a thought for more than a few moments and frankly am exhausted both mentally and physically. Now with the bad news of the above treatments I am falling into a deep sadness. Not really depression, but extreme sadness as I am not ready to give up on life but have very little hope of getting my tinnitus to a manageable level to live any form of a life at all.

I will be meeting with yet another Neurologist next week and have an appointment with an EMDR therapist tomorrow. I have one of those Type A personalities so counseling is not promising.

Is there any hope?

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you are suffering so much with your tinnitus. You are not alone here as many of us have been where you are. But many have gotten better via various means. You can check our their success stories. Yes there is hope after developing tinnitus. Don’t despair. Good life can return. I had both ultra high pitched tinnitus and hyperacusis and recently with total hearing loss on my left ear. I suffered nightmare of a time initially like many new sufferers do. But even with half deaf condition and a new jet-engine like roaring loud tinnitus, I have recovered using some helpful strategies. I live a normal life now, enjoying my hobbies and traveling. If not for COVID-19 restrictions me and my wife would be cruising to southern Caribbean in a week.

Anyway, I shared those strategies on the 2 success stories which I list the links to them below. Also an article on EMDR and tinnitus. Please read up enough success stories to give you hope. I used self help CBT to help with the mental struggle. Others use TRT and counseling. EMDR is used by some therapists especially if the tinnitus is trauma related, and in your case may be the extended stressful time your experienced. If you can afford it, you can give it a try. Do check out the linked success stories below if you have time. Take good care. God bless your recovery.

EMDR for Tinnitus

From Darkness to Light, How I Recovered from Tinnitus & Hyperacusis

How to Habituate to SSHL and New Loud Tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      How did the EMDR go?

I am seeing a psychotherapist tomorrow for EMDR.

4. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I had my 1st consult with the psychotherapist.

He's never treated anyone with tinnitus, but is open to trying.

I'll give it a go but might try to find someone who has some expertise around tinnitus specifically if I can.

6. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @DebInAustralia, that might be a good idea. It is always hard to know what to do, whether to just try something out or not, or wait for someone who seems "qualified" to be able to assist.