Can ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) Last for a Long Time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by IAmCalifornia, Aug 28, 2017.

1. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Recently diagnosed with ETD though I have a feeling the doctor just told me that to explain my tinnitus, not because it's an actual diagnosis.

I asked if ETD can last for a year, he said yes.

Anyone with experience, is this true? It can last THIS long?!

2. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Look into this little device
      It worked well to open my tubes up and helped my T
      https://www.amazon.com/Eustachi-Eus...=UTF8&qid=1503943748&sr=8-1&keywords=eustachi

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Hey man thanks for the heads up will do!

Quick question my ears crackle when I swallow/move which is the the doctor told me ETD used to have a blocked feeling and he told me fluid behind my ear or eardrum which is gone...

Is this safe to use still?

• Like Like x 1
    4. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
    5. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I'm no doctor, but my ears felt full and crackled, and slight pain too. This shoots a small puff of air into your nose, and you swallow some water at the same time, that causes the air to go up your tubes and allow your ears to equalize pressure.
      It really helped me after only a few uses. (hint...use good fresh batteries for the best pressure)
      I have used it dozens of times now and had no problems

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      ETD can be a chronic problem, depending on the cause.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. HeatherB

HeatherB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I used an otovent (which is essentially the same as the device listed above) every day for about 3 months and it cleared up my ETD but sadly ETD has since come back so will have to start using it again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      @HeatherB
      Hi, sorry to hear that your ETD came back, and good luck with clearing it up. About how many times a day did you use the Otovent, on average? Do you have any other tips on dealing with ETD? I have the Eustachi, but only since ten days ago. Thanks!

9. A Person

A Person Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i dont know lol
      sadly, i have had it for a year.
      i'm a little late to say this but i am giving you a responce that you wanted. it can last this long and i have not seen anyone for it. it is still going and i'm yet to find out how to stop it. i'm just now doing research, as dumb as a child is, i've ignored it and just cried. i feel that mine is a lot worse then others. please do not be as dumb as me.

10. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Hey @Elinor, what would be an example of a cause for chronic ETD? My ears still occasionally feel full almost ten months after the initial acoustic trauma. The ENT did a tympanometry and he says everything looks fine, and that he thinks it's caused by a combination of sinus issues and TMJ. I'm not convinced that I have either of those, though. I feel that I could start habituating once I can get rid of this feeling of fullness, it's so annoying and a constant reminder.

11. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      One can have defected eustachiantubes from birth. Chronic infections can cause swelling and make the tubes clogged. Infections in general can cause scarring, causing chronic ETD. These are just some of the causes.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I don't know what could cause ETD in your case, if that's what you have. I myself have ETD and even driving through varying altitudes is a problem for me. I don't know the exact cause of my ETD, but that's definitely what it is in my case and it's chronic.

12. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Have you lost weight recently? It might be possible that the fatty tissue in and around the Eustachian tube has caused the orifaces to close up or the cartilagenous walls of the ET to collapse upon themselves. This is one explaination for chronic ET

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Hi Casper

Did you have a hearing test? Did it show any hearing loss (re the acoustic trauma)?

14. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      It was never an issue for me before the acoustic trauma. It didn't even start immediately, but rather about three weeks after the initial event. Sometimes I wonder if it's caused by the stress/anxiety brought on by those first few weeks.

Do you know if fullness in the ears can be caused by something other than ETD?

I lost around 10 lbs (~4.5kg) from stress during the first few weeks, but I have since gained most of that back from eating right and working out. Right now I'm at a healthy weight.

I had a hearing test done twice. According to the ENT, my "hearing is as good as it can be at your age" (I'm 27), but I do have a dip of 15dB at 1kHz in my right ear, while my left ear only shows a dip of 5dB at 1kHz. I've seen others on this forum with larger dips, so I don't know if that's something I should be concerned about.

15. HeatherB

HeatherB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hiya @Luman - I used it twice a day religiously for the 3 months (when I woke up and before I went to sleep). The only advice I can give really is to stick with it - the doctor told me it would take up to 3 months to make a difference which, for me, was true. I'm not sure if the Eustachi works the same way but with the Otovent it's important to swallow while doing it to open the Eustachian tube fully.

I don't have any other treatments to suggest I'm afraid as the Otovent is the only thing that's helped me so far.

Good luck!