Can Focusing and Thinking a Lot About the Hyperacusis Objectively Worsen the Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Susan98, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Susan98

Susan98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can hyperacusis get objectively worsen when thinking and focusing on it?
      I became a bit more sensitive to sound after I worked somewhere for a while during the summer vacation.

After I went back to school I noticed that I my ears where a bit more sensitive to sound.

I started to focus more on sound and when I thought that it would become worse it became actually worse objectively.

Know I try not to focus that much more on sound but I'm constantly scared that the sensitivity will increase and that's why I'm so focused on it.

Has anyone else also experienced something like this?

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @Susan98
      It certainly doesn't help...although I find H is hard to find distraction from as its a very real reaction to sound input that you system finds uncomfortable.
      I find I can distract my attention from T ( by being busy ) but H is just there and calms down in its own time.
      I have not found any types of sounds that help mine much.
      I simply just avoid noisy and noise complicated environments when its bad - clanking plates, bars and all things that My auditory system seems to 'react' to....its like a damn hissing snake :D :eek: (y)
      I hope today is a better one for you X

3. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Thinking about H a lot will make you manage H less effectively. Improving your outlook will help you cope better, but not necessarily make H better. H is not a psychological illness no matter what ENTs say. Even if it's caused by stress, let's not forget that stress is neurotoxic and causes real physical changes in the brain.

My H is the same no matter what my mood or state of mind is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Once the damage is done, is done. You have opened the pandora's box. Nerves do not regenerate, no matter how calm you can stay. Avoiding stress should be beneficial not to cause further damage, given of course that stress was the culprit of oneself's struggles...

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I'm with you. Same opinion. Hyperacusis reacts to the volume, pitch and dynamic range of sounds. If sound sensitivity were in a certain case caused by strees managing stress more effectively can be positive. If hyperacusis is caused by a noise trauma, managing stress better wont make a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 1