Can Food Induced Tinnitus Spikes Become Permanent Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Nov 11, 2018.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      So I'm sure many of us get spikes with certain foods. One notable one for me is dairy. But I still consume dairy knowing a spike will come and go.

But today a spike has not faded like they usually do after having some yogurt.

I'll give it more time before worrying about it too much but it posed the question, do food spikes cause actual damage over time and can actually raise one's base line permanently if done too often?

2. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      In over ten years of this I don't think any food has ever spiked mine. Mine is LOUD all the time. I have noticed that alcohol lowers it, but raises it higher for a while the next day.

3. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Hmm... anecdotal, but in my experience, no. But I think the majority of the people here will say that food will cause only temporary spikes if any. We have this noise with us already... to also live cherry picking the food we eat would be too much lol.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      lots of foods spike mine. caffeine, salt, vinegar, citrus and dairy mainly. Just not sure if its harmless or not over the long run tinnitus wise.

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did you reach a conclusion about this? I've been thinking about this also, but it has to do with CBD and other medical herbs

6. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Food doesn't. If you think you have a spike from food, it is probably a coincidence and something else did it.

Exception might be something spicy but it would be temporary. I don't see how food would make t or any ear condition worse.

Sugar and salt is claimed to do something but what is the science behind that?

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      With pulsatile tinnitus due to pseudotumor cerebri - intercranial hypertension which may have association to the thyroid, certain foods are concerns when there's too much of vitamin A. Both these disorders can relate to the development of eye vision problems and floaters. Eyes need Vitamin A, so it's a no win situation. Vitamin D is said to be needed with both these highlighted conditions. Pulsatile tinnitus can relate to deposits from unhealthy foods. Like certain medications or inflammation, certain foods can increase physical problems where in return tinnitus and hyperacusis can increase.

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Why would coming from a can have any significance on whether it causes tinnitus?

9. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm definitely not an expert, but this article is about diet for Meniére's and hydrops.

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/menieres/hydrops.html

10. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah yes, I've been wondering about this.

Like for instance, say coffee spikes my tinnitus (it doesn't) and I still want to drink it... Would it be better to avoid everything that spikes tinnitus if my hope is to have it become less intrusive over time?

I think this is a very important question for nerve wrecks like me. If it spikes, attention is drawn to the tinnitus for me at least... And giving your tinnitus attention can make it permanently worse according to some posters here.

11. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I have no idea if caffeine spikes mine, because I have it every day. Could try to break the pattern, I suppose... goodness I love my coffee though.

12. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm not a doctor but it doesn't sound logical that a tinnitus spike that is food induced should be permanent. Once your system has got rid of the substance from your system your spike should ease down.

13. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      I try to watch my diet, knowing full well my tinnitus spikes from all the usual bad foods; salt, sugar, processed foods.

I am wondering of the question on this thread; if we eat unhealthy and get spikes, are we risking worsening our tinnitus in the long term?

14. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Eat what you want in moderation. You should limit junk food anyway. Most tinnitus is inner ear damage related. Yes, eating shit may make it temporarily worse but it is probably a coincidence.

Meniere's disease is an exception. Don't overdo sodium.