Can High Doses of Vitamin B12 and VItamin D Be Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vicky.m, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Vicky.m

Vicky.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all.

I was wondering if any of you know whether high dosages of vitamin B12 and vitamin D supplements can be ototoxic.

My tinnitus started two weeks ago when I got three vitamin B12 injections in 3 days and took orally a high dosage of vitamin D.

Ototoxicity or tinnitus are not mentioned in the side effects but I can't think of anything else that could have caused it...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Vicky.m
      Some medications can be ototoxic but I am not aware vitamin b12 can. I tend not to follow this route as my blood pressure medicine is listed as "can cause" ringing in the ears. However, I have been taking this medication for some time and haven't noticed it has affected my tinnitus.

You may have an underlying medical problem (hopefully not) within your auditory system that could be causing the tinnitus, if it isn't the b12 that is responsible. Are you regular user of headphones or go to places where loud music is played: clubs or concerts? Exposure to loud noise/sounds are the most common causes of tinnitus.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think it's pretty unlikely. Have you done a hearing test?

4. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Vitamins B12 and D3 are not ototoxic, quite the opposite actually.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Vicky.m Too little or too much D3 can associate to tinnitus. You might want to consider taking some magnesium glycinate to offset any magnesium deficiency and maybe your ringing will disappear. It won't hurt to try some magnesium if you have healthy kidneys. When tinnitus develops, sometimes a magnesium deficiency is present. Magnesium also helps auditory threshold. When taking large doses of D3, some that do receive ringing have a magnesium deficiency. There's several studies that go about discussing the above in different ways, but the conclusions are similar.

https://www.easy-immune-health.com/ringing-in-the-ears-after-taking-vitamin-d2.html

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicky.m

Vicky.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the feedback Greg, I will try magnesium supplements, hope it will help

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicky.m

Vicky.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I haven't been exposed to loud sounds during the onset of the tinnitus which happened overnight that's why I associated it to the large doses of the vitamin intake I took around that day. All the best to all of you! :)