Can Hyperacusis Cause Tinnitus Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ligeia, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Ligeia

Ligeia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/stress
      Hi everyone,

I've had tinnitus for quite some time now.

My tinnitus has become worse every year around this time for 3 years now. Possibly due to stress.
      Everytime it gets louder my ears seem to tolerate less noise.

Now I can't even hang out with 4 or 5 friends without my tinnitus spiking. I used to not protect my ears in these situations but noticed spikes, so now I do wear earplugs. Sometimes it might even spike then.

I don't know if this has something to do with hyperacusis, it's not like it's really hurting my ears but the tinnitus does react.

My ears do hurt since my tinnitus got worse in July. I only protect my ears with my really loud blender, screaming kids or the cinema or so.

I'm feeling really down because I feel like I have to isolate myself.

Can this get better?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I believe that it is not H that made your T worse, it is you ignoring the signals given to you by your own body. It appears that the moderately loud noises had interfered with your body trying to heal itself. If my theory is right, then it might not be too late - if you begin protecting your ears from the kind of noise that gives you spikes, eventually your body will hopefully heal and both your T and H will end up improving. But it might take months or even years for this to happen, as ears take forever to heal...

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      is your hyperacusis painful or do you notice sounds are louder then usual but without pain, or both?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ligeia

Ligeia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/stress
      I can stand normal sounds but I do feel like they seem louder. It doesn't really hurt.
      I am scared of doors slamming or other unexpected noises.
      My ears now hurt because they feel 'full'.
      I just don't get why my T spikes after hanging out with a few friends who aren't even that loud.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you know the specific frequencies/pitches your brain is amplifying to make them abnormally loud?

if you know what frequencies are being effected you can know what to avoid.

6. Davey126

Davey126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Ligeia I’m sorry you’re going through this. These are similar symptoms I have as well. The key word here is “scared”. Your ears are very sensitive to noise right now and your anxiety is creating these feelings. Your “scared” of loud noise but it doesn’t actually cause pain. Most likely because you fear that it will make your T get worst overtime. Yes, it’s very possible over the years you exposed yourself to some noise that caused a spike while your ears are healing. From my experience once I got most of my stress/anxiety under control and used sound enrichment my ears got better. After about 5-6 months of having identical symptoms as you it subsided. My T is still there but the whole “scared” of noise is much better. It’s impossible to avoid every loud noise even if if stay home. Give it some time and it should subside for you. Protect your ears when you know it will be loud. I hope you feel better soon.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ligeia

Ligeia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/stress
      This might be a stupid question but how would I find out?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ligeia

Ligeia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/stress
      Thanks for your response Davey, I appreciate it! It's hard right now to get out of the fight/flight mode but I'm trying to do things that make me relax. I'm glad it got better for you!

9. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      @Ligeia
      I feel you. I am exactly the same boat. I have a recent onset of T and also now some H. I say recent onset but I think its always been there and just I hadn't noticed it. In recent years I would sometimes listen to T and it would amplify very loud at night but then in morning I would forget and it would be gone for months at a time.

My T has only persisted since I got very anxious about it. The hyperacusis also seems similar to this in that I started to worry about it driving over to a dinner party and peoples voices then started to feel too loud at normal volumes whereas earlier in the day they had felt ok.
      The amount our worries/ fears are wrapped up in this whole charade is clearly very complicated. We have to reassure our primitive reflexes and as per the advice of protecting from loud / uncomfortable sounds until hopefully everything dies down.
      John

• Like Like x 1