Can I Go to Concerts / Movies Anymore?

Discussion in 'Support' started by st0rch, Feb 14, 2014.

1. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't even tried going to concerts or movies since my tinnitus came. I already had extremely bad anxiety before this happened, and this added fear of loud places only makes my agoraphobia worse. So depressing.

Would I be safe at movies with earplugs? How about concerts? The last thing I want is for this to get worse, but I can't stand to live like this. It doesn't make sense to me that just because my ears are damaged now, I'm more at risk for more damage than those without tinnitus, is that just another illogical fear?

I am terrified now that I've recently been dumped from a very long relationship, that I will never meet anyone I relate to again. I love music, I make music, and I would assume the person I would fall in love with loves it with a passion like I do, typically that's how any relationship I've had started. Now what happens when I go on a first date with someone? "oh by the way, I'm only 23 but I can't attend any concerts or go to any movies with you because I have a constant ringing in my ear, let's be in a relationship!"

If anyone has experience going to concerts after tinnitus that was positive and knows it can be done, please help me.

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yes, absolutely. You can go to movies. I love film and go all the time. You can go to concerts... You may need to be careful about huge, head banging arena shows. But I go to concerts all the time. You will need to make a plan: get custom ear plugs, wear ear muffs over your plugs at louder shows, know where to sit, learn to take breaks. Info on all this on this site, just search around.

If you have a tendency toward agoraphobia, face your fear. Try these things in forgiving settings. If you feel you can't handle the movie, you can leave. But I think you will be fine and doing these things you now fear will empower you.

I feel for you, having a relationship end. But anyone worth being with wont care about your tinnitus. Don't make a big deal about it and they will care even less.

Good luck, Storch, and try not to worry about your future. Hey won't lie, tinnitus sucks. But it also can teach you things about coping with life that will be incredibly valuable.

Oh and also... You mentioned that you had extreme anxiety. You dealing with that? Therapy? Medication? Coping techniques like meditation? Because I am convinced you can't deal with tinnitus, if you have anxiety, until you deal with the anxiety first.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I cannot go to concerts, only unplugged affairs and I have to be careful then. Concerts did me in. Screw those loud concerts anyway. I enjoy live music, I play music, I make instruments, I teach music. It's my life, truly. There's life beyond high volume.

I wish I'd stayed away from a few concerts through the years, my tinnitus wouldn't be so bad today. I didn't need to see Kiss 4 times. But I DID need to see Stevie Ray 3 times. Thank God I was back and off the side for those!! Stevie was loud with a capital L. My damage was done close up at high school dances and the local weekend things when bands from the big city would come to town. And my own stupidity like playing drums and loud amps in one little room... etc...

But... there's plenty of music out there that's not loud. In fact, after a horrible, horrible 2 year spike, I used my own acoustic music to get my mind off the tinnitus and I just brought it up to a level I can tolerate. I had to give up fiddle, which I was very good at... damn. But I CAN play a harmonica and it should bother me but it doesn't. Guitars, banjos, slide guitar, piano, no more drums. I do use a P.A. from time to time but have to be very careful with the monitors.

Oh... my dad developed tinnitus in his 30's. He's tuned pianos all his life, which is hell on tinnitus, but keeps doing it because he really loves it. He's 75.

• Like Like x 1
    4. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Yes,

I ended up going to about 8 concerts after I got my tinnitus. (I sort of stopped going because of the expense and the big crowds at shows. Dam kids :p).

I would wear some really awesome silicone ear plugs and those seemed to do the trick. I would just suggest maybe sitting back at the show and not being right up against the stage.

5. lindsey2112

lindsey2112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damage from Loud Noises (concerts primarily)
      Hello,

I had a case of acute tinnitus and ear pain from January to March this year. I attend quite a lot of concerts so I'm sure this was the primary cause although my case of tinnitus only started after I had to get my ear flushed out in January. My ears and hearing have been completely fine since March.

There is a concert coming up in a few months that I really want to go to but, of course, I don't want any form of tinnitus or ear pain to come back and I definitely don't want to cause any permanent damage to my ears. At the same time, I am only 16 and I really want to be able to go to concerts again.

Anyway, do you think it would reasonable to go to a concert again in a few months or do you think it is too risky? What ear protection would you recommend wearing?

Thanks for any input!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      3942f855-1e63-4a44-bbb0-370de766829a-jpeg.jpg

30sxh4-jpg.jpg

url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F0535%2F6917%2Fproducts%2Fmistakesdemotivator.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Do what you want, protect your ears in the process ...be over cautious but not too over cautious

8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Oof. Your tinnitus and ear pain went away? You are so so so very lucky. For concerts, people usually wear muffs and ear plugs, but you're a regular concert goer who already suffered with T for three months. You should count your blessings and just purchase their live CDs or DVDS instead of gambling with your second chance of silence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Read any of my posts on concerts, I still go very regularly.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I know it must be very difficult not to attend concerts etc especially in the prime of youth

Actually admittedly my tinnitus has got worse through loud events and have to cancel going to a EDM festival tomorrowland in July as that is so so loud. I don't go to clubs anymore. Though I am still planning to go a concert in November as I know its not too loud as I went last November and the decibel count where I was standing was around 85.

What I am saying you have to be ultra ultra careful and analyse the situation before you go. If you know its going to be loud then I be tempted to pass on it. I may go to outside festivals in future but stay way at the back where the decibel level is no more than 85. Yes maybe less enjoyable by myself but at least I sample some of the atmosphere and enjoy the music. Indoor concerts are the worse especially its a small venue.

Remember, regularly breaks and customised ear plugs. Don't drink too much either.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma