Can I Go to Concerts / Movies Anymore?

Discussion in 'Support' started by st0rch, Feb 14, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't even tried since my tinnitus came. I already had extremely bad anxiety before this happened, and this added fear of loud places only makes my agoraphobia worse. So depressing.

Would I be safe at movies with earplugs? How about concerts? The last thing I want is for this to get worse, but I can't stand to live like this. It doesn't make sense to me that Just because my ears are damaged now I'm more at risk for more damage than those without tinnitus, is that just another illogical fear?

I am terrified now that I've recently been dumped from a very long relationship, that I will never meet anyone I relate to again. I love music, I make music, and I would assume the person I would fall in love with loves it with a passion like I do, typically thats how any relationship i've had started. Now what happens when I go on a first date with someone?... "oh by the way, I'm only 23 but I can't attend any concerts or go to any movies with you because I have a constant ringing in my ear, lets be in a relationship!"

If anyone has experience going to concerts after T that was positive and knows it can be done, please help me.

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yes, absolutely. You can go to movies. I love film and go all the time. You can go to concerts... You may need to be careful about huge, head banging arena shows. But I go to concerts all the time. You will need to make a plan: get custom ear plugs, wear ear muffs over your plugs at louder shows, know where to sit, learn to take breaks. Info on all this on this site, just search around.

If you have a tendency toward agoraphobia, face your fear. Try these things in forgiving settings. If you feel you can't handle the movie, you can leave. But I think you will be fine and doing these things you now fear will empower you.

I feel for you, having a relationship end. But anyone worth being with wont care about your tinnitus. Don't make a big deal about it and they will care even less.

Good luck, Storch, and try not to worry about your future. Hey won't lie, T sucks. But it also can teach you things about coping with life that will be incredibly valuable.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Oh and also... You mentioned that you had extreme anxiety. You dealing with that? Therapy? Medication? Coping techniques like meditation? Because I am convinced you can't deal with T, if you have anxiety, until you deal with the anxiety first.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I cannot go to concerts, only unplugged affairs and I have to be careful then. Concerts did me in. Screw those loud concerts anyway. I enjoy live music, I play music, I make instruments, I teach music. It's my life, truly. There's life beyond high volume.
      I wish I'd stayed away from a few concerts through the years, my T wouldn't be so bad today. I didn't need to see Kiss 4 times. But I DID need to see Stevie Ray 3 times. Thank God I was back and off the side for those!! Stevie was loud with a capital L. My damage was done close up at high school dances and the local weekend things when bands from the big city would come to town. And my own stupidity like playing drums and loud amps in one little room... etc ...
      But ... there's plenty of music out there that's not loud. In fact, after a horrible, horrible 2 year spike, I used my own acoustic music to get my mind off the T and I just brought it up to a level I can tolerate. I had to give up fiddle, which I was very good at.. damn. But I CAN play a harmonica and it should bother me but it doesn't. Guitars, banjos, slide guitar, piano, no more drums. I do use a P.A. from time to time but have to be very careful with the monitors.
      Oh ... my dad developed T in his 30's. He's tuned pianos all his life, which is hell on T, but keeps doing it because he really loves it. He's 75.

5. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Firstly don't worry about not starting a relationship with someone because of that. Your young and you have a life ahead of you (Your 23 that has got to be one of the best parts of your life!) and when someone comes along who is just right for you then you can make a compromise about the concert stuff.
      I'm in similar boat as you but it isn't about music. But so far I've continued to do what I love and I'm just seeing where that'll take me, for you I really think that there is a way to do what you love and not worsen your T.
      How about instead of loud concerts go to quieter places where you can just listen to live music without making your T unbearable. I've heard some amazing undiscovered artists on youtube who play live but in a calmer quieter setting. And that will actually help with T. Silence and too much noise aren't good for T so that would be a better alternative for you. (Personally I prefer that)
      If you have anxiety problems work on building your confidence up and spend this time finding yourself. I was really young when I got T and I had always had low self esteem about my looks and my smartness and honestly I was concious about everything about my self and I was really shy and bullied sometimes. It used to keep me up at night and I was so frustrated. When I was eventually officially diagnosed they told me I had a inner ear hearing loss as well as T. It was hell. But then one day I just changed I found who I was through the frustration and anger about T. I don't even remember how but I must of found myself. It made me stronger and I found my passions, my wants. Now people tell me I wish I could be as confident as you. Honestly its amazing, even though T still causes me problems and I have to get my ears checked a couple of times a year I'm generally happy. I seriously believe that you will find someone great for you and that you'll learn to make compromises with T.

Good luck!

6. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Yes,

I ended up going to about 8 concerts after I got my T. (I sort of stopped going because of the expense and the big crowds at shows. Dam kids :p).

I would wear some really awesome silicone ear plugs and those seemed to do the trick. I would just suggest maybe sitting back at the show and not being right up against the stage.

7. Miguel
      No Mood

Miguel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      When I first got T I was afraid I would never go to the movies again. I love going to the movie theater. So that was a big bummer. But once I lost my fear of T, I started going again. However I do my best to stay away from IMAX screens. I'm pretty familiar with my local movie theater. I know which screens have the loudest sound systems and which ones have the more tame ones. I try to stick with the more tame ones whenever possible.

If you want to give the movies a try when you're feeling better, you should go to a matinee show by yourself at your local theater on a Monday or a Tuesday when there arent that many people. Inspect all the screening rooms and see which ones you should avoid in the future or at least until you get your T under control. You can always walk out at anytime and since its matinee you won't have spent too much money for nothing. I did have to walk out of The Hunger Games Catching Fire because it was an IMAX screening and my ears couldn't handle the noise. But I've watched almost everything else I wanted to see ever since. I just stay away from IMAX.

• Like Like x 1
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      This is the most common sense approach I've read yet. Listen to Miguel.

• Like Like x 1