Can Ibuprofen and Tylenol Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jéssica Amorim, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can Ibuprofen and Tylenol make tinnitus worse?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have taken Ibuprofen many times without noticing any effects on my tinnitus. I don't know about Tylenol. I don't think you should pay too much attention to medicines affecting tinnitus. This causes undue stress and anxiety and will make you believe when taking certain medicines has made your tinnitus worse when it's not the case. My blood pressure medicine is listed as: can cause ringing in the ears. I have been taking it for many years and haven't noticed it made my tinnitus worse. In any case, I'd rather take it or something else and not having to risk a heart attack, kidney failure, stroke or my early demise.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Taking extremely large doses of either medication could, but doing so would also damage your liver and cause other health problems. Sticking to the recommended dosing guidelines is likely okay.

• Like Like x 1
    4. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      Mind over matter live your life just be responsible with your actions. I was the same way when the school bell started ringing for me ! I would read everything on this issue and skip out on meds and deal with a headache, but I'm so use to it now and learned how to relax ! I just push forward and stay busy and do what I want to do . And now that I'm talking about it that is helping me as well I was silent for 20yrs . CURLY

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Mind over matters is the key to tinnitus and life in general.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      Right on Fishbone you live everyday , you only die once ... Curly

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      it's probably dose related issue...

but i do know that ibuprofen depletes zinc and tylenol depletes glutathione; both of which are important to healthy ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      For some people it does, for some people it doesn’t. There is unfortunately no clear cut answer to give here. I would just say to start with a very small doses and monitor if you notice an effect on your tinnitus. When I had a reaction, it did go away again afterwards and I knew not to take it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    10. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      I have wondered/worried about that myself. I don't typically take acetaminophen/Tylenol for other reasons so I am not referring to that. I take 200mg-400mg (1-2 tablets) of ibuprofen/Advil for a headache...and if I had to I would do that again in 4 hours if the headache remains/returns (I always take ibuprofen with a bit of food and some milk as I have heard and it seems to make sense that it protects the stomach a little). I prefer not to take anything at all but if I have a headache enough that I can't work, rest, play, or sleep then I will do so without much worry about a real increase in tinnitus. I generally feel it has no lasting effect on my tinnitus. When my tinnitus was milder in the past I took ibuprofen and acetaminophen and never ever noticed anything....I think when tinnitus is louder you can always think various things affect it cause it's just so loud that it makes you wonder, "Was it that loud a second ago?"

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you know why it got louder?

12. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer Yes a large part is due to concerts (stadiums, arenas, clubs)....not even that many concerts really...without counting them- around 40-50 concerts or so over roughly a 20 year span. Although I began wearing earplugs at a certain stage once I became aware...I still didn't always wear them and didn't necessarily use the strongest version I had. I also started questioning if damage was still occuring even with the strongest earplugs available...so I don't really attend concerts anymore unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you view it). Certainly concerts do not need to be as loud as they usually are, but that's what they do; I wish it were not that way. I may still attend acoustic shows, or folk shows, I could still gauge other shows at the time if I choose, or not...I am certainly not pressing myself to do so. In addition to that I also experienced an acoustic trauma which I know did damage. There may be some other sound/music related causes but that's about all I know. I do clench my teeth when I sleep but feel in my case it is unrelated. ...Thanks for asking.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What would your advice be for a person who had recently began suffering from tinnitus? Would you advise them against exposing themselves to noise, even if the noise is moderate? Or do you believe the risk of T getting louder as a result of exposure to moderate noise is relatively low?

14. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, if it were someone that would listen to me and take my advice...and if somehow I knew their tinnitus wasn't that bad (like say they told me so) I would say always wear the strongest foam earplugs at any loud event (rock concert, football game, etc.)- you will not miss anything anyway by doing so. For sure wear earplugs and earmuffs in unison when exposed to extremely loud sounds. I guess they'd have to use some judgement on what is loud vs. extremely loud (I myself play it safe). Use some custom fitted earplugs (the type that use filters of varying dB-blocking levels: ACS Custom type or Etymotic Musician's type, for example) in situations of lesser volume.

I think moderate sounds shouldn't hurt their ears...but then we have to decide what is moderate. I guess I feel that if their tinnitus doesn't bother them at all they have some room for error before it gets to that point. But you did mention suffering so I guess let's say it does bother them a lot. I understand it can be hopeless. Absolutely horrific. I am struggling with it quite a bit now. I do wear earplugs a lot. I do wrestle with the idea that wearing earplugs a lot may make my ears more sensitive to sound or make the T volume louder (permanently) due to some brain realignment or something...I don't know if it can. But I feel it wouldn't make it as bad as being exposed to a truly loud sound would.

I don't know what to say...I guess it'd be easier face to face. If their acoustic trauma was severe or sound exposure so high then I'd presume they need to be more careful unfortunately. Some days I can deal with my T pretty well but others days it is tough, and I don't know if it is any different in actuality.

I played my piano today and maybe my tinnitus is louder now because of it, and I don't know if it will stay that way...I did put some custom filtered plugs in after a bit so that the strike of the keys wouldn't reverberate in my ears cause I was noticing some pain/response to certain notes/frequencies. And something else happened later in the day while wearing foam plugs that still made me feel very upset, but probably did nothing. So sometimes I still do things that might make my tinnitus worse, and then overprotect at other times...it's a balancing act that I don't even know how to gauge.

Final thought- I don't feel that moderate sound ever damaged my ears to any point that I would ultimately care. But please use your best judgement for yourself cause it may be different. May we make it through the tough times.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hate the fact that when I protect my ears by wearing ear plugs, I end up hearing T louder (as ear plugs reduce all of the competing sounds). But I don't think you need to worry about T volume actually increasing as a result of you wearing ear plugs.

Also, as long as you expose yourself to noises in a controlled way (e.g., watch TV at moderate volume), I don't think you need to worry about hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, just wondering what the opinions out there are regarding the safety of using Tylenol for tooth sensitivity. Thank you very much.