Can Menopause Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jewellanne1010, May 29, 2014.

1. jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Wow here I am turning 50 and I believe I am going through it the big menapause my t has been very overactive these past 4 months and 15 Years ago I thought I had it under control. Anxiety thru the roof any feed back helpful

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Jewellanne,

I'm post-menopausal myself, and wanted to respond to your question. Yes, I do think that all the hormonal changes that are going on in your body right now could indeed make tinnitus worse. I'm sure you're experiencing a lot of anxiety and up-and-down moods right now, which certainly doesn't help!

Have you looked into trying natural supplements for your menopausal symptoms, such as black cohosh? I think that if you can get some of the worst symptoms to settle down, your tinnitus might settle down, as well.

I didn't experience a spike in my tinnitus when I went through menopause (my tinnitus was pretty mild back then), but four years ago I did. Now I can look back to that awful time four years ago, and truly say that I'm doing much better today. What did I do? Well, I tried going to doctors, as well as experimenting with acupuncture, chiropractic, and reiki, and nothing really helped my tinnitus. It was when I settled down and began accepting it that it began to get better. Nowadays, I take a few supplements, including fish oil, vitamins, moringa oliefera (high in antioxidants), CoQ10, magnesium chloride, and a Chinese herbal for calming --- and that's about it. I also try to exercise and stay busy to distract my mind from the tinnitus. It's not perfect, but it does work!

I wish you a calm evening, and am sure that things will get better for you. It may take a little time, but I believe that as your body adjusts to these changes, things will improve.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Thank you so much

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      • Like Like x 2
    5. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Yes, I believe hormone changes affects T. I don't know about menopause, but I did read that the pill gave people T. It went when they stopped taking it. I took the depo injection and since I have had bad affects from it. I don't think that is the cause of my T, but it will be interesting to see what happens when my body returns to normal

6. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      No, menopause will not worsen tinnitus.

7. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I don't agree. Firstly it's listed as one of the many menopause symptoms.
      I personally at 53 am in meno right now and this year has been horrendous for T and H, yet last year before meno my T was almost gone, but stable and I had no H.
      I know there are times I get a T spike followed shortly by a hot flush.
      Don't dare say meno makes no difference, only a man could say that.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hormones before menstruation and the menopause can cause tinnitus.
      I posted on the BTA about it.
      Water retention in the body can effect our ears .
      A low salt diet can help.
      It is the water retention due to the menopause that can spike tinnitus..lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    9. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Oh god! Another thing to look forward to:(

10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Many women report spikes in t during the menstrual cycle. I think that hormonal changes, especially changes that effect brain chemistry and the central nervous system, can always have the potential to cause spikes in t. However, also believe that over time, there are ways of calming the CNS, balancing the hormonal fluctuations etc. I understand also there are blood/hormone tests that can be done which may inform us more of what needs balancing.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's always awesome to see male doctors making uniformed, sweeping statements about female anatomy.

There appears to be a wealth of research linking sensory and audiological phenomena to hormone levels....

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Even my GP ( female) has suggested that my T could be related to the Menopause.

13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Maybe so. Maybe not.

But one thing is for certain: I can find the first 5-6 dead wrong statements you have made (black/white erroneous statements...).

Shall I find them for you - and display them for the rest of the forum to see??? It will be my pleasure. I aim to please you see.

I can start with the one where you got the location of Prof. Jeanmonod's clinic wrong. But then again what is a distance of 700 kilometers to anyone, right? Not to mention two entirely different countries (Belgium vs. Switzerland).

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I post with such frequency and verbosity, that if you can only find a half dozen errors, you're probably not trying very hard. Please feel free to do whatever you want, I'm sure it will be extremely relevant to the thread and interesting and not at all confrontational or needlessly divisive, just like everything else you post.

Belgium, switzerland, whatever. I'm a typical American, all your little countries are the same boring mess to me, eh? :-p In any case I don't think that my geographic confusion has a lot to do with menopause, unless I get lost on my way to the obgyn.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3220314/
      The Kupperman Index goes back to the 50s and has certainly drawn some fire for not necessarily being the most modern or accurate way to understand menopause, but I'd say that the simple fact that tinnitus is one of the symptoms that are indexed, speaks volumes.

@Dr. Ancill, I apologize for the rather brash wording of my first post; that was not necessary.

15. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Menopause itself does not cause tinnitusbut the age of onset of menopause overlaps the range of the age of incidence of tinnitus. Further, mood disturbance is a symptom of menopause and that can worsen the perception of tinnitus. If the question is about menopause making the pathology of tinnitus worse then the answer is 'NO'. However, it can make the symptom of tinnitus worse, though likely only transiently.

By the way, the gender of the doctor is irrelevant.

• Genius Genius x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Dr. Ancill ,
      Its lovely have a doctor on here and one with tinnitus.

My tinnitus is so sever in both ears and hearing loss due to Menieres and wear duel purpose hearing aids and take betahistine 16mg x3 a day and 4-6 proclorperazine aday.

I have sever asthma also and under the sever hospital asthma unit and consultant and on lots of medication to breath.

Just wondering if they both could be linked in any way ? ....lots of love glynis

17. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      No direct link between asthma and tinnitus but asthma medications which are stimulants could increase anxiety and make the perception ofthe tinnitus worse so check with your doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    18. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Dr.Ancill,
      Thank you for your reply...lots of love glynis

19. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Absolute rubbish. It is listed in a list oddly compiled by females in menopause as a symptom developed during menopause, funny no list compiled by males stating the same thing randomly happened.
      Oestrogen directly effects the auditory system surely you know that. How do you explain tinnitus in pregnancy, also common.
      Mood is not relevant many 'happy' people develop tinnitus suddenly. Anxiety is not relevant many people have a wonderful night of music and fun only to develop tinnitus.

20. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Hi @Dr. Ancill - while it seems that tinnitus and menopause is a topic which is up for debate, one thing which is somewhat more certain is that being a doctor here on TinnitusTalk is not so easy.

Best wishes.

21. Marte
      No Mood

Marte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am a female age 50 and have been on birth control pills for 23 years. I just developed T two months ago. It began while on my period accompanied by a piercing headache behind my left eye and into my back left lobe. The T remained with me even when my headache went away. Then suddenly towards the end of my cycle, about three days before my period, it became obviously much duller, to the point I labeled it as gone! Then in the middle of the night...bam! I got up to use the rest room and started my period. It seems to have coincided with my T returning to the minute! Now here I am trying to deal. We'll see if this pattern happens again. I can't help but think it's related to hormones.

22. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It does for me and I'm 50. even my lungs go nuts around the time of the month and I always wonder if my tinnitus and menieres and asthma is some how related at times and hormones could be one link of many....lots of love glynis