Can Remeron Make Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubinvero, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      It works different for everyone unfortunately. It's trial and error. It works well for some people's anxiety but not others. If you have no success then there are plenty more options.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      In my opinion it is more against depression, not anxiolytic.
      But I am no doctor. It does not really help for my anxiety.

I was in a psychosomatic clinic one year ago with many other T patients.
      Others were there without T, but depression. I had no signs of depression, but they gave me Mirtazapine as sleep aid. But I was full of anxiety which they didn't see and even I myself did not really realized.

Think about if anxiety or depression is higher. If anxiety, maybe find something else and take a low dosage of Mirta in the evening. I think about also switching to something else. But Mirta is a good med, for sleeping, against depression and maybe little against anxiety.

Or just try Mirta and see how it works for you.

3. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I read one side effects is that it may cause deafness. There was no percentage so assuming it was a small percentage but that's enough to scare the crap out of me. Anyone heard of this? ?

4. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I know tens of people taking AD's, no one went deaf.
      You only read the worst cases on the internet. The majority who are doing fine with AD's are the ones you don't see on the internet.

But I know how you feel, I was/am the same way about AD's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      It was actually on an earlier posting in this thread and from the pharmacist when I picked up remeron yesterday

6. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @kaycee Don't believe everything you read. Drugs like Remeron are prescribed millions of times a year and the chances of anything bad permanently happening is extremely slim. As @DutchGuy says, you only read about the bad stories on the Internet. People who recover and go on to live a normal life rarely have the need to come to these forums so you never hear their success stories.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I hope so. I've been taking Remeron for a year and haven't suffered any major ill-effects. But yesterday I was feeling especially paranoid and looked up cases of Remeron ototoxicity on the net. Well, you know the internet; you always find what you're looking for whether it's legitimate or not.

8. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Paranoid from what? The medicine or just got paranoid

Yea the Internet is unfortunate sometimes...saddening too

9. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Just got paranoid. I guess the recent negative comments towards the drug I've been depending on for sleep are what caused it. I feel better now.

10. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      All this is so scary when there are so much negative outcomes..I'm glad you're ok

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you want to feel better then you can start by minimizing your time spent on the internet. That's the reason why I don't have an internet connection in my apartment and am communicating with you psychically.

12. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Forums like this can bring you down quicker than they can pick you up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is just my experience, but I found Mirtazapine initially calmed T or did very little to affect it, which was fine as long as it helped me sleep. More recently, after being on it for a year, I found its side effects were really making it a losing proposition for me. I was way too drowsy in the morning and the hyperacusis was painful and much more prominent.

I should say that, yesterday, I had the worst day I have ever had with T. The ringing in my ears was so loud (particularly right ear, which is my good ear) that I estimate I lost about 75% of my hearing. My right ear felt like it was completely blocked and basically shut down. Just about all sounds were painful. Today, after going with no Remeron, my ears have recovered, although the half life of this drug is 20-40 hours. It seems like this drug can certainly do serious damage to certain people over time. I know it wasn't anything else, since my diet is constant. Just my opinion...

14. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably vestibular neuritis in summer 1999
      This is the precise reason why I have enormous suspicions about "Trobalt" thing that ruined many people already suffering. No one ever wondered who he really was Mr. MPT and all his alleged benevolence on this forum.

BTW Remeron rock!

15. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Can tinnitus get worse when you are tapering remeron?

16. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I've found that taking or coming off antidepressants or other psychiatric medications can change tinnitus. It usually ends when it's out of your system though.

17. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Mine has become so bad i'm suicidal. My ears explode after I take my meds.