Can Stress Alone Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zard920, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Zard920

Zard920 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is a fairly simple question... My tinnitus started a week ago and I have no idea why. While I did sometimes use headphones (not earphones), I doubt those would be the cause. I rarely turned the volume up that high. So I'm thinking stress could be the issue. Is that even possible? I know that stress can worsen tinnitus once you have it, but can it also cause it all by itself?

I'm a very stresed out person and I often worry about things, which is why I'm wondering this.

2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Apparently it can but it is more commonly caused by noise.

Best thing would be too get an appointment with an ent and try too establish the exact cause.

3. Pieter.kul
      Fine

Pieter.kul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I made an account just to reply to your post because I had the exact question for the last week.
      I can tell you: YES, stress can cause tinnitus. I got a static noise sound last week without any reason and drove me crazy. I'm having exams at university soon, and have a lot of tension in my muscles (shoulders and neck). When it started you problably stressed more about it because you just focus on it (which makes it worse), but I've mentioned that when I woke up, it was gone until I lifted my head up. Then it started again.

Even went to the doctor 2 days ago and he couldn't see anything in my ears. Almost made an appointment with an ENT but suddenly, this morning, it stopped. Try to relax, let someone massage your neck/shoulders (or do it yourself) and try not to think about it too much.

Hope you will get better soon!

4. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Most doctors are useless for tinnitus....only way to know if your T is noise induced is to check if you have reduced tolerance to sounds (this can be tested by an audiologist)....they is no other test to detected signs of damage to ears....audiogram is of no use as the T is caused by damage to high threshold hair cells which it does not measure .... it only checks low threshold haircells and says your hearing is perfect.....most ENTs dont know about T really...

5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I don't know if stress causes tinnitus or just heighten our awareness of it. But either way stress definitely can play a part in it.

I'd definitely recommend learning and practicing relaxation techniques and meditation. It sounds hokey but that stuff really helps in the long run. Trust me on this. A year ago I was a wreck and stress played a huge part in it. I have since learned to handle stress and decompress and now I feel much better for it.

6. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Normally haircell damage is repaired by the body unless you are under stress. So stress causes the body to fail to repair the damage caused by noise.

7. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      really? i've never heard of this? source?

8. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      That is bullshit, lol.

9. Steve Feldo

Steve Feldo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Zard920 My T started in October after a period of increased stress involving a perfect storm of circumstances. I am pretty highly strung generally and there was no other physical reason for the T starting when it did. The Dr I saw at the time it started was useless, but what I've established from my audiology appointments and ENT consultant is that stress is a major catalyst and can increase the symptoms and awareness of them....making them seem even worse.

10. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I read in many sourced that humans don't generate new hair cells, unlike chickens.

I've never been so envious of chickens before in my life.

11. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
    12. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Its bullshit for ignorant people who does no reasearch before talking shit.