Can Stress Bring a New Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by katriina, Mar 11, 2014.

1. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'm having a lot of stress and I think that my head is ringing more than ever... Could it be because of stress? Is is possible that my tinnitus could calm down if I can reduce my stress? I'm thinking of getting antidepressants to ease my anxiety... And I'm still not sure if it is good sign that my both ears are ringing and all the sounds variates a lot and in day time my ringing is lower than evenings? I'm going to see ENT soon!

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yes get some anti depresants!!!! I dont know where you live but i take lexapro in the united states and its for anixety and depression and for an anti depressant i can say it does an awsome job of decreasing stress and anxiety.. Along with the clonzepan i take every once in a while :)

3. Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      From personal experience, from the experience of almost all people with tinnitus, I have spoken with and from doctors/experts, I can tell you the following:
      Stress is one of the key catalyzers and triggers for tinnitus.

I would strongly recommend, that you cut down on the stress and take the necessary penalty at work.

4. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I am sure stress is linked to T, and the more stress you have the worse your T can be. If you feel like you need antidepressants to keep you calm then get some, but remember that antidepressants aren't the solution and if you find stress to be an issue it would be a good idea to see someone to help you learn how to cope. Hope you feel better soon

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have a huge exam tomorrow and after that I don't have to stress about it anymore but my biggest reason for stress is tinnitus and I guess that when I'm stressed about tinnitus ----> Tinnitus gets louder and creates possible new sounds ----> Tinnitus increased loudness and new sounds stress me more ----> argh! I need some medications to get rid of this rat race

@citigirl13 Yes, I want this stress away and after that I also need someone to talk to, like therapist or something

6. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I always think therapy is a good thing to go to, even if a person necessarily doesn't haven't any huge problems. I always think that there is no harm in talking to someone who is detached from everyone else in your life, who is just there for you. It's great when you can get things off your chest.

I know what you mean: you hear the noise, you get stressed, the noise gets louder, you get more stressed - it's a vicious circle. Unfortunately stress is something very difficult to get rid of - I myself could stress about the colour of the sky if I let myself. No wonder you are stressed with the exam.

I know that there are people that help you learn to manage your stress - I did psychology and my teacher did a module on it. I think if you were to a therapist and talked to them then they would be able to help you. Of course I think antidepressants would help you in the meantime, but again, I don't think they are good to take long-term as some can come with bad side-effects. I think it would be best to try to manage your stress. Hopefully that will calm your T down.

It isn't easy to bring stress levels down, but hopefully you will be okay and the antidepressants will help.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Oh and my family didn't believe me when I said that I don't have just one voice in my head, I could easily have like 5 different noises.... They looked at me like I was totally crazy!

• Like Like x 1
    8. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think my tinnitus is a barometer of my stress levels.

9. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      My dad got really annoyed when I mentioned it at first (if he can't solve the problem he gets annoyed) and said it was all in my head. It was only when the doctor reported I had fluid in the ear that he took me seriously. My mum is very patient, even though I talk her ear off about it (pun not intended). I think people who don't have T struggle to understand it. Sometimes in the early stages I wondered if I was going mad. I wonder how many people in the middle ages had this, and whether it drove them insane. Good thing we have this forum. It is such a relief that people get what you are going through.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @citigirl13 Exactly! My parents are like "If I can't see it, it doesn't exist!"
      .... well if that is the case, then why I still hear it? :D

11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      When people dont understand go on youtube type in tinnitus sounds and blare it at there face and say try listening to this 24/7 and it never stops.. Im sure they will understand then:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Yes. Tinnitus is the stressor. I have removed all stress from my life. Can sleep until 8, work for some hours as good as I can,' go for lunch, have a walk or do whatever I want, have dinner and so on. But a sound in my head 24/7 keeps me stressed. Having such a day which looks like heaven can you also stress. For example if you think, you must be more productice. Or if you have too much time thinking about T. Stress is not always working too much or writing exams. Therefore AD meds can help. I went down from 30 mg to 22.5 mg the past days. Had some days which were worse. Will go up to 30 again. I take mirtazapine and they have few side effects (like increased hunger for sweet things). Besides that they are very good and also helps sleeping. It is widely used here. I will take them until my depression is better and I have habituated to T. I am no doctor, but for me Mirtazapine works fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      @katriina
      I truly had no idea just how much stress I had in my life until I got T; it's a 'stressometer' indeed. Did stress cause it? Perhaps not exclusively but I'm sure it was a large factor (I had crazy stress at work/life). Working at getting stress down in life and increasing my ability to detect and handle the remaining stress has been intrinsically good and did, in fact, play a large part in getting a hold on my T -- could there be a hidden blessing in T? When my T first hit (and until habituation) I certainly didn't think so; however, now...maybe.